Buying Scrivener on Mac - any difference between buying on website or in AppStore?

I also avoid buying from the App store, I like to give all the money to the developer so they have decent income and can make a better product.

As a developer myself, I do the same thing. I bought my mac versions of Scrivener and Scapple through the website rather than the app store for this reason (I did the same for both Windows versions - I don’t even think they are in the windows store?). Software development is a huge amount of work and I would much rather that hard work be rewarded with more money rather than feeding the behemoth that is Apple.

It was an effort(s) by a Scrivener for Mac user, Lee Powell, to get things started.

If you’re interested, the genesis of the Windows version is written about––its reveal––in the L&L blog here:
literatureandlatte.com/blog … ategory=57

Thank you for the history lesson. Windows users should consider themselves lucky someone is interested in developing something for them and some should stop whingeing already.

Oh, don’t worry, we who are not the ordained of the Church of Apple bow and scrape at the altar of St. Jobs every day and do penance for our sins, aware of how unworthy we are and how fortunate and blessed we are that the Turtlenecked One’s priests deign to notice us groveling worms.

Refreshing to see you know your place in the world and have at long last admitted.

Mac and Win (under sufferance) user.

That was directed at the Windows whingers, the ones I have seen you tangle with on more than one occasion. 8)

Not at the general world of Windows users.

An off-topic comment here (apologies), just had to leave a comment stating I am also a new Mac user after 20 years on Windows! Macbook pro m1. Sooooo different from Windows. Scrivener is working great on it - no issues so far. I miss the number keypad, but that’s a detail. LOVING the portability of it and being able to bring my laptop anywhere (assuming I could go anywhere with the lockdown and all…)

Happy learning Teriodin!

You don’t have to leave Dvorak. In System preferences>Key board> Input Sources
you can select various flavors of Dvorak.

Another thing about the Mac is that they are solid machines and last a long time. My first MBP that I got in 2009 is still running with macOS 10.11.6 (the highest it can support). Just got it cleaned and a new fan put in. Will keep it until it either dies or is unable to run the Web APPs that my wife uses it for

My 2011 MBP died in 2018. And my current 2018 MBP is purring like a kitty with zero issues.

So at least in my case I feel I got my monies worth. Whereas my Windows machines seldom lasted more than 3-4 years.

My last PC was an IBM ThinkPad (2005) loaded to the max. It cost the same the 2009 MBP, but definitely didn’t last as long. So total cost of ownership has to be considered as well.

Thanks, I suppose I could use that and swap all the keycaps around on a regular keyboard, which is what I had to do 30 years or so ago when I learnt Dvorak.
The actual hardware keyboards are getting like rocking horse poop now, even though it’s an ANSI standard of some kind.
It’s a shame, because the key-top swapping doesn’t work on many keyboards owing to the profiling on the different rows. I even had a Logitech one where the F and J keys had a different switch fitting under them once.

How about something like this?

kbcovers.com/dvorak-keyboard-cover/

Or, just a set of keyboard stickers? I realise you may have excellent reasons for avoiding thses solutions, but if so, I’m curious as to what they might be. (I knew a writer who wrote in Cyrillic on a Mac with the use of a keyboard cover, so at least some writers find them an acceptable compromise. )

Appstore customer service is automated and heavily relies on algorithms.
L & L provides individual service.

If the algorithm shut you down on the App Store, good luck sending emails. Sure you can go into your local Apple Store, but that assumes you have access to one. That may not be the case if you don’t live in North America/UK/EU. In the Middle East, the only “real” Apple Store is in Dubai. I guess Iranian purchasers pay in cash and give fake names so they won’t have to worry about sanctions. There is no official Apple Store in Israel, either; I guess the Israelis will have to queue with the Iranians in Dubai.

There are lots of reasons why you can get shut down on the App Store.

It would seem that a combination of using these covers plus selecting Dvorak in keyboard preferences would solve his problem.

I wouldn’t notice the different keys. For some reason I tend to wear the letters off the keys. I have a relatively new “Magic” (not) keyboard on this iMac and already the letter A is unreadable unless you know what it is. R and B are fading fast with F, T, B, N and M in hot pursuit. In two years there will be few keys I can read. The keyboard that came with my 2014 iMac and the keyboard on y mid 2015 fifteen inch MBP are great to type on. Unfortunately the 2014 iMac keyboard seems to need batteries at just the wrong times, so it’s sitting in a drawer.

The key wear is most irritating on my 15" mid 2015 MBP because I can’t replace that keyboard easily. I serendipitously got a new keyboard when I had them replace the battery in it a couple of years ago, but the letter A on that one is now a bright spot where the letter used to be where the back slight shines through with other keys deteriorating rapidly from heavy use. The keys on it look worse than those on this keyboard but they function perfectly.

Fitch

Didn’t mean this to get derailed into a keyboard thread, sorry.

Suffice to say, I have good reasons for needing a Hardware keyboard and the stickers/keytops/software solution causes other issues. Like I said, I used to do that thirty years ago and went hardware because it was the best solution.

Sorry to jump in like this, but I sent in an email to sales for the upgrade discount and I seem to be having some trouble contacting L&L. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If this post is inappropriate please send me a PM, and would be glad to continue this conversation elsewhere. I had the app for a long time, and I recently updated my Mac and it no longer supports the app that I purchased. Thanks for your help.

Please check your junk mail to make sure you haven’t misplaced our response. If that doesn’t help, PM me with the email address you used and I’ll make sure we received the note on our side.

Katherine

I have an external Mac keyboard that I bought in 2009 it looks brand new. Why? I have washable transparent latex cover on it. The letters don’t wear off the keys. I got it at a Apple store. You can get them online as well. Could solve your problem.

Good luck in finding a workable solution to your problem.