Camp NaNoWriMo: July 2022

Wondering if there are like-minded souls here wanting to take on Camp NaNo this July? I’ve created my project. It has to do with the theoretical research I’ve been doing and how it somehow intersected with real life. Memoir.

Let me know what you intend to work on, too. Unlike November’s NaNo proper, in CampNaNo you can set a target word count other than 50k. April 2022 I did 20k.

Yes, I’ll likely be doing NaNo this July. I’ll be sitting down to a blank project and spitting out whatever words come to mind. 50,000 of them, if I’m lucky. I won’t necessarily produce a coherent narrative, but I’m hoping for a new character or three, and perhaps even a new universe to research.

1 Like

Cool! Speaking of a new universe to research, I had been musing since ~2018 "what if I wrote a novel inspired by Charles Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities — a tale of three cities? About some story spanning the three financial hubs London, New York and Hong Kong. The funny thing is, I could write about London and Hong Kong but only this year did I have an inkling about how New York factors into the story, which was nothing like I imagined.

I’m writing this post just to bump it up and see if there’s still anyone interested in Camp NaNo July 2022.

Summary

I’m going to finish up my WIP in April 2022 and, if I have days to spare, move on to finishing up Books 1 & 2 of my memoir trilogy (no material for Book 3 yet!) as well as begin Part 1 of the “tale of three cities” I mentioned. So many financial leads these days.

Can’t wait for Camp to begin. I’m not a good pantser so am furiously (re-)scribbling what I intend to write come July.

Summary

Financial themes: bankers, pro-choice, social unrest, university funding, research themes. Investigative reporting. Sleuthing. Epic romance with financial theme. Crypto. Extinction-level event. Gen X Y Z. Historian girl hacker prophetess. Tech radio host biker. Cancelled video journalist thespian. Common enemy to vanquish before lovers can get together. Finite simple group of order two why not three.

I’m looking forward, too. I’ll set aside the current Work In Procrastination, and bid the Muse arrive. Can’t wait to see what she brings!

1 Like

I’m looking forward to Nanowrimo July Camp. Last year’s camp got me writing again after a recovery from an accident so this year I’m going to add to that story. Between July and October 2022 I wrote 88K of book one of a three part series about a witch and vampire with a few daemons thrown in for some fun. It is were a 1200 year old vampire is sent to spy on a hot shot researcher who is making lots of money for an environmental investment firm, only he ends up falling in love with her and she (the witch) with him. There are some bad vampires and witches floating around just to make things interesting. Oh did I mention a few goddesses too. Book two is 2/3 written, but a disaster, total rewrite required and some how I can’t stop thinking about Book Three.

1 Like

Book 1 sounds like an intriguing story. I’ve been reading up on the supernatural and the most recent document I read was about fairies, elves, gnomes, gargoyles and the like (dwarfs, hybrid pygmies). Cue Bigfoot. According to this source, these creatures have some way of instant transport, say in the form of a bracelet or scrunchie, and are very good at hiding their tracks. They may also emit chemicals lethal to humans who come into contact with them. And that museums which have advanced internal research facilities and the military are involved. I suspect there might be some esoteric yet influential religious order involved in the story as well (like, how might human priests call upon these entities for whatever cause?), of which your bloodsucking and spell-casting lovers are part of or privy to. There is a lot of DNA manipulation involved.
It’s kooky, but maybe the above could get your creative juices flowing for the sequels.

Two more days till Camp! I’m torn: I can’t wait to get started, yet I also want to rush adulting and getting my coffee and toast and whatnot in order in order to be in my best shape once July rolls around.

CAMP IS HERE!!! (furiously scribbling typing mindmapping away)

How’s everyone doing at Camp? I’m at 4,000 words, give or take. My thoughts tend to fly off a tangent and so I have to separate out those ramblings from the story proper.

I ran into a writing block yesterday so am planning to embrace the impasse by digging into my research… hopefully the needle is somewhere in the haystack…

How’s everyone doing? I’m stuck at the 25% mark. I can’t seem to find time to sit down and go through my research. Trying to describe a chemistry experiment that I can’t do in real life but has to have a solid natural scientific underpinning.

Not doing well, here. But more words are coming out now than had been coming out for months before, so I’m grateful for progress!

1 Like

Commiserating with you as we share the same experience :joy:

How’s everyone doing? I’ve decided to skip ahead and finish up the rest of my WIP before returning to my pain point.

Words continue to emerge from my fingers, almost daily! I didn’t much care for what the Muse brought, but I’ve added words to my WIP. The logjam in my brain must be loosening a bit…

1 Like

A narrow win. :trophy: And all of you?

Am working on this after NaNo. I don’t know if I’ll ever complete it but at least writing it is fun.

Sorry I’ve been distracted lately :pensive: . I too barely won Camp NaNoWriMo.

Of course, one can edit one’s goal in Camp NaNoWriMo… :wink:

1 Like