Can separate documents merge into a single paragraph during compile?

I am wondering how atomistic one can write in Scrivener. For example, can documents contain individual sentences that are then merged during compile into a paragraph, or does each document, at minimum, represent a paragraph?

Y
o
u

c
a
n

p
u
t

e
a
c
h

l
e
t
t
e
r

i
n
t
o

s
e
p
a
r
a
t
e

d
o
c
u
m
e
n
t
s

1 Like

cute :slight_smile: … but, it appears the letters cannot be compiled into words that form a sentence. What I see is a vertical list of letters.

Yeah, that was for comedic reasons. Of course you can compile it into a normal sentence (or paragraph, scene, chapter).

Edit: The minimum useful unit would probably be a word, or – in the real world – , sentence. But you can go way more crazy.

[EDIT] I modified my original screenshot, because: I doubt that you’d want that for ALL of your text files… But rather just for a specific section layout designed especially for that purpose. (Just in case, I left the original below.)

Original screenshot

Unlike I did, you’ll have to use a single space as separator. You can see my 2nd and 3rd sentences missing one between them, where the two documents were merged into a single paragraph.

[EDIT] I just tried using a single space as separator (for the sake of producing better screenshots), but it appears that it merges to a single paragraph only when the separator field is left empty… (??..)
(I also have no idea what those gray brackets are supposed to be in my last (LibreOffice) screenshot.)

→ Leaving the custom separator empty, and rather inserting a space in the section layout’s suffix works.

(I still have no idea what the non printable gray brackets are.)

3 Likes

Some additional ideas and solutions in this thread:

1 Like