Can You Organize New Icons Into Folders?

Hi everyone,

I am a new user of Scrivener, and I am very excited about working with it! I completed the Interactive Tutorial (that took like 5 hours, not 1) and am in the copying-all-my-documents-over stage of novel writing. I had a crazy mess of notes, profiles, drafts, research, etc. in Google Docs, and I was desperate for a program that could help me organize everything as I work on a new draft, and I think Scrivener’s the one!

Since I am importing an insane amount of documents, I am taking advantage of the custom icon feature to label all of my binder folders and select docs so I can find everything more easily. I quickly ran out of Scrivener’s default icons and started importing my own. Importing custom icons is no problem, but I’m wondering if there’s a way to organize them by folders like Scrivener’s default icons (Book, Character, Flag, etc.), because the alphabetical list of all the icons haphazardly thrown in together is pretty unwieldy.

Thanks!

Yes, there’s a neat trick to this. Just place the inner menu title in parentheses in the icon title. So, for example, if you name an icon “Characters (Evil Char)”, then the icon will be called “Evil Char” and will appear inside the “Characters” submenu. Or, if you call an icon “Ideas (Blue Sky)”, you’ll get an icon called “Blue Sky” inside an “Ideas” submenu.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith -

I had to re-import the icons after I renamed them, but your method worked perfectly. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Follow Up Question -

Can I also sort Scrivener’s default unsorted Icons (Blackboard, Light Bulb, etc) into folders?

There’s no way to do the latter, no, sorry (well, not without hacking the resources inside the program itself, which you’d then have to do every time Scrivener was updated).

All the best,
Keith