Can't load project by selecting template

Hello,

I use the free trial of scrivener which as the same feature of the paid version. It’s on Windows.

If I load a blank project, it’s work perfectly.

But if I try to load every others templates (that are be installed by the application), it’s ask me where I want to save project but after that nothing happen…

I plan to buy the software but the bug seems very strong.

I reinstall the application.

Could you help me ?

Best regards,

Florian Dufour.

I forget to gibve the version : 3.1.0.0

Is Scrivener creating the file as requested and crashing (if you look on your computer, is the file where you set it to save?) or is the program just totally hanging and crashing before you can create any type of project using a template?

Thank you for your answer.

The program doesn’t create the file when I create any type of project using template. But the program doesn’t crash. It just do nothing…

It might be that your antivirus or some other software is preventing proper communication with the folder containing templates. You could try creating a project in Safe Mode to see if this is the case. If you’re able to create a project in Safe Mode from a template, you may need to look at whitelisting Scrivener with your antivirus, etc.

You could also have a damaged installation. I would try doing a fresh install if Scrivener still isn’t behaving normally in Safe Mode.

It’s possible your installation has become damaged. Please follow the instructions below to completely remove your existing installation and reinstall afresh.

Before you start, if you have default settings on Scrivener 3 that you’d like to save, then before you uninstall, open a project in Scrivener 3, go to File > Options… and click on the “Manage” button at the bottom of the display. Next, select “Save Options to File…” and nominate where you wish to save your settings. Later, after you have reinstalled Scrivener 3, you can reapply your settings by clicking on the “Manage” button and selecting “Load Options from File…” to load the settings from the file that you saved before uninstalling.

When you are ready, please follow these instructions:

1. Uninstall Scrivener using the Windows uninstaller.
  2. When the uninstall has finished, open Windows File Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files, scroll down to the “Scrivener3” folder. Make sure that the folder doesn’t contain any of your own files — if it does, then move them to a safe location. When you have done that, delete the “Scrivener3” folder, by right-clicking on it, then selecting “Delete” from the menu.
  3. Clear your browser’s cache and your downloads folder, to make sure that you download and install a completely fresh copy of the application.
  4. Go to Download Scrivener | Literature & Latte and download a fresh copy of the Windows installer.
  5. Run the installer, and follow the installation instructions that appear on the screen.

Thanks again for your answer.
I see that the community or the moderators are very active. This will make me want to buy the software even more (I already think it’s great).

I have tested your solutions. And it did not work.
However, I found the origin of the problem.
If I created a project with a template in a C: or D: (hard drives). It works perfectly.
But if I try to put it on a mounted disk which is actually a cloud. It doesn’t work anymore. (Icedrive mount its cloud as a disk). If I don’t have a problem with this system usually. It is clear that it comes from the interaction of the two software. Without logs in the tools… I could not know why there is a problem.

As I have a workaround. The problem is closed for me. If you want me to investigate further, to know if the problem comes from your tool. I offer myself.

1 Like

I don’t know about Icedrive specifically, but please be aware that many cloud services can cause issues with Scrivener if you store live/active projects & their files in the cloud. See Using Scrivener with Cloud-Sync Services / Cloud Syncing / Knowledge Base - Literature and Latte Support for more information.

I know you said you can’t create projects in Icedrive directly so this might be a nonissue, but I’m posting this incase you plan to then copy the existing projects to Icedrive. At the very least, make sure you’re using Scrivener’s built in backup feature so it’s possible to recover your work if something does go wrong.

1 Like