Can't set text to bold or italic

Hi there!

I am running scapple on a MacBook m1 with macOS 12.1.

When I try to make a text bold or italic nothing happens. Underline and strike through seems to work. This happens regardless of the font im choosing. I tried to change the text in the menu and inspector but nothing works. Is there something I missed?
Choosing the “Title Text” note style from the inspector produces bold text, but that’s not what I want.

Thanks,
Michael

1 Like

@scmmcs Same here! Can’t get bold or italic to work in Scapple on Mac mini M1 with macOS12.01 Monterey, though underline and strikethrough still work. Bold and italic words set a while ago in the Scapple doc remain but I can’t set any more (neither by menu nor by keyboard shortcut). This applies to both existing Scapple docs and to new ones.

Help, please. This is v inconvenient.

Thanks.

To get the obvious stuff out of the way, are you both running the most recent version of Scapple (Apple broke some stuff specific to bold and italic setting a few years ago that we had to patch around)?

It would be also good to know which of the three ways you are using: menu command, shortcut, inspector button.

I’m running version 1.4 (1122)

Okay, I’ve got it filed for investigation (I don’t have OS 12 installed yet so I can’t confirm it myself). It would also still be good to know which of the three ways you are using: menu command, shortcut, inspector button. The shortcuts were specifically the thing broken in the 10.15 update.

@AmberV Yeah, I’m also running Scapple 1.40, and Bold and Italic fail on ALL methods: keyboard shortcut (cmd-B), Inspector (Text Style B button) and Menu (Format->Font->Bold).

1 Like

@AmberV I should have added, in full, it’s Scapple 1.40 (1120) for me.

I think I am having this same problem. I am running Scapple 1.40(1120) on an M1 iMac running macOS 12.2.

I purchased a new copy of Scapple from the App Store mid-December 2021.
On Jan 5, 2002 I created a new doc and was able to selectively change font properties on single words and phrases inside nodes.
Today, Feb 2, 2002 I am not able to change font properties on individual words or phrases. Changes can only be made at the node level. Also keyboard shortcuts no longer work.
The only change to my system since early Jan 2002 is the macOS update to 12.2.

Any information on the status of this behavior is appreciated. I depend on being able to modify text within nodes.

Thanks for the great product.

Similar issue here. There are some nuances though:

FULLY FUNCTIONAL:

1. Underline works as expected, both for highlighted text and for notes as a whole, using the shortcut, inspector, and the menu.
  2. Strike through also works as expected, both for highlighted text and for notes as a whole, using the shortcut, inspector, and the menu.

DOES NOT WORK AT ALL:
3) Bold does not work at all, neither for highlighted text, nor for notes as a whole. None of the three methods work.
4) Italic does not work at all, neither for highlighted text, nor for notes as a whole. None of the three methods work.

ONLY WORKS FOR THE ENTIRE NOTE:
5) Text size only works for the entire note, for all three methods.
6) Alignment only works for the entire note, for all three methods.
7) Indents only work for the entire note, for all three methods
8) Text color only works for the entire note, for all three methods.

Hope that helps. I’m on a 2020 M1 Macbook Air, running Monterey 12.2 and Scapple 1.40.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional information!

I am using 2017 iMac and Scapple 1.40(1120). I have especially updated to Monterey 12.2 to test this problem.

Everything is working as it did in Monterey 12.1. I tested in old projects and new projects using different borders, notes inside background shapes, different styles, different document settings. The only thing that sparks the problem for me is changing the font.

Arial, Aileron, Helvetica, Lato, Poppins, Roboto, Times New Roman etc. work absolutely fine.

As soon as I switch to Geneva, Impact, Kaushan Script, Ropa Sans etc the bold and italic functions cease to work.

I notice some people with the glitch are using Monterey 12.1 and others are using 12.2 so I don’t think the problem started with the upgrade.

Interesting that certain fonts work for you. The default font is Helvetica, with which I can’t apply Bold or Italics formatting anymore at all, and I tried changing the font to Times New Roman and Arial and that didn’t cause any change for me.

Awesome. Scapple is a great tool. But being able to do things like bold & italic, especially key text within a note, will be great. Looking forward to experiencing its full functionality.

I’m running Monterey 12.3 Beta (21E5212f), and having the same problem. Font choice doesn’t seem to make a difference.

If I quit Scapple and restart it, I can make bold and italic again, for a while. At some point (can’t seem to find a pattern as to when or why), it goes back to not working until I quit the app again.