Centre text short-cut

Hi,

The key command to centre text (Command + vertical) doesn’t seem to work in 2.2.

Regards

Steve

Does for me - cmd-shift-\ on an English keyboard (cmd-|) works fine.
All the best,
Keith

It’s not being intercepted by another program, is it? I seem to recall there are some that use that key combination for other things.

Cheers, Martin.

Tried it again.

‘cmd-|’ doesn’t do anything, but ‘shift-cmd-|’ does centre the text.

Hi,

Yes, that is the correct shortcut - since | can only be created by holding down shift-, the correct shortcut is shift-cmd-.

All the best,
Keith

There does seem to be some inconsistency in the way that applications “name” their shortcuts. I’ve noticed that zoom to a greater size is often labelled Cmd-+ (plus sign). On my keyboard (UK) this requires the shift key, but on Safari, for example, although it appears in the menu as Cmd-+, the action is invoked by pressing Cmd-= (equals sign). There is no need to hold down the shift key. Technically, the shortcut that shows in the menu is incorrect, but I guess the sacrifice has been made in the interests of making it easier to remember and more “logical”. It’s more confusing if you take into account the fact that “make smaller” in Safari is invoked by Cmd-- (minus sign, or dash) and this doesn’t require the shift key on my keyboard.

Cheers, Martin.

cmd-+ is an odd one - I think some applications hook into the shortcut directly (trap the keyboard strokes) rather than going through the regular keyboard shortcut system, which allows them to get around this, but it’s generally only done with cmd-+. For instance, if you view a PDF file in another pane in Scrivener, even when the focus is in the text, cmd-+ - which should increase the font size in the text - will zoom in the PDF view. This is presumably because the PDFKit just traps these keys regardless of whether it has the focus or not. Not really good practise, but hey.

All the best,
Keith

Doh!

You’re right.

I was thinking of ‘|’ as a label for the key rather than indicating the character itself.

I don’t tend to use shortcuts that much. You can probably tell.