Changing names of individual document files

Hello! I have been searching for a way to do what I want, but I can’t seem to find anything. I’m not even really sure how to describe it, so that may be part of the problem.

I would like to be able to change the names of the individual document files. What I mean is this:

If I go to my current project’s folder, let’s call it Name.scriv, and then I go into the Files folder, then the Docs folder, I find a list of my individual documents within the project. The problem is, I can’t tell which document is which, because the names are all “4.rtf” or something similar. Just a bunch of numbers. Can I change the names of these files, or does Scrivener need them to be those numbers for technical reasons?

As noted in the user manual (pg. 46):

If you are curious about the internal components (from a developer standpoint), it is document in Appendix F (pg. 327 on).

Otherwise, what are you attempting to accomplish, in wondering about changing the file names? If you’re just trying to create a set of files you can edit with an external editor, the File/Export/Files… feature is probably what you are looking for. That will use human-friendly names, and sort things into folders to reflect their order in the Binder.

Ah, my apologies for not having searched the user manual well enough. What I wanted it for was mostly ease of access. I post the chapters to my stories individually, and the site I use messes up the formatting if I just copy and paste. So before I used Scrivener, I would separate the stories into individual chapters, each one being a different document. Scrivener makes it so that I don’t have to do that, it’s just that I have to open each file to see which chapter it is. I wanted to be able to do all this without having to worry about exporting. But it’s quite alright, just takes a little extra effort on my part. Thank you for the help :slight_smile:

No worries, it’s 300+ pages long. Only I’m allowed to know where every paragraph is. :wink:

Yeah, even if in theory you used the core RTF files it still might not work well. We use some proprietary codes that the strict RTF format itself does not support (such as dynamically linking between items within Scrivener, linking to images on the disk and having four different note streams). So in some cases, depending on how many features you use, you would end up getting raw code in whatever was used to import/view the RTF files.

Other than that, it’s fine to passively use them. You can use the Files/search.indexes file to cross-reference between internal ID number and the title you are accustomed to from the Binder.