character spacing

Hello scriveners,

Does Scrivener has a “character spacing” option (as you have in Word in font>advanced) where one can expand the space between the characters? like t h a t
(I personally need this option in order to quote old books who where using this as emphasis. Thus, "one can understand clearly the distinction between my emphasis and their e m p h a s i s )

Thanks,
N.

The closest would be the Format -> Font -> Kern submenu, but that’s probably more subtle than you need.

Katherine

too subtle indeed.
thanks any way :smiley:

however if I use “loosen” many times over and over it can do the job. and even though it’s not comfortable, when i reach the desired spacing I can then “copy font” and paste it to other places. So you basically did solve my problem. thanks again :slight_smile:

What you want is digital leading. Insert a space between two characters and reduce that space’s font size to as minuscule as you want. (In all probability this is a precise digital analogue of what the typesetters were doing in setting the old books you are looking at.)

If you have a macro program, you could even capture a space of your chosen smallerized font size and assign a keystroke to it.

–GR

P.S. I am curious why you would wish to retain this old convention for emphasis. Converting it to, say, italics would add readability and would, in an obvious way, not change the meaning of the text. The spaced way of showing emphasis would have been the typesetters doing anyway, not the author’s.

thank you GR for the idea, but I want to write the word as a word, as a unit, and not as separated letters. Thus: 1. later on I can find it easily using the search tool 2. it won’t break a part when it is at the end of a line and a new line comes 3. it won’t become over stretched when aligning the paragraph to both sides. 4. it won’t be damaged if I like to change the fonts size.
So I find Katherine’s solution more intuitive and suited for me, as it is in Word or Pages.

as to your curiosity: we are dealing here with academic, partly philological, writing. therefore 1. more I can be loyal to the original text the best. 2. italics are already used for other things (as books names and latin terms). 3. you often have italics already in the quoted texts, so again one won’t be able to distinguish between my emphasis and the quoted author’s marking. Hence, to have the bold as an extra marking tool which is clearly mine makes it all much easier for me and for the reader.

Thank you!

N.

Sounds right - for all those reasons.

And thanks for the note about the project you are engaged in.

best,
gr

Just curious - do you need to actually see the spacing while in Scriv? I’m just thinking that if you’re compiling your documents out to Word anyway, it might be easier to just mark the necessary text in Scriv, say with {braces} or something. And then once in Word you could use the Advanced Find & Replace to remove the braces and alter the spacing all in one go.

Sometimes shots in the dark work!

Once you’ve defined your emphasis “font,” you can also create a formatting preset for it. Format → Formatting → New Preset from Selection.

Katherine

good idea indeed. I used to do just that with other formatting issues. However, more I use scrivener as my main writing tool more I want to see how my work looks while I’m working on it (as much as possible). paying attention to the aesthetics of my writings, playing with it while working, polishing, seeing how the form holds and sometimes even supports the content, is at least for me a central dimension of the writing process.

Another good advise. Thank you very much! :slight_smile:
N.