Character templates[NOTED]

I’m assuming this is a bug…I can’t use the character templates. When I’m in the character folder and go to “Project” there’s no option of “New from Template”.

Also, the folders in the last couple of versions seem very hard to ‘position’ correctly. I’m using the drag and drop functionality in the Binder and whereas a few weeks ago it was easy to re-position things using this method, now they’re dropping into strange places.

And finally, in manuscript and corkboard it only shows the chapters, rather than the scenes within the chapters. This means you can’t drag and drop scenes, only full chapters. I’m not sure if this is a bug or perhaps I just need to drop the fiction template and make my own if I want to drag and drop scene by scene.

Thanks,
Phillipa

Character templates: I don’t think document templates are slated for the first release of WinScriv.

“Manuscript & Corkboard*”: I’m not sure I know what you mean here. I can expand and collapse folders to reveal sub-documents under folders or other documents. When expanded, I can drag those sub-documents wherever I want. Can you describe in detail the structure of your binder documents, or provide a screenshot of the expanded chapters in the binder?

• Edit: I just realized you meant that you were viewing your manuscript in corkboard mode, and now I see what you mean. Hmm…

Hi,

As Robert says, New From Template won’t be in Scrivener 1.0 for Windows, as that was a Scrivener 2.0 feature. So that’s not a bug but a future refinement, most likely for Windows 2.0.

Dropping folders has gained some problems in the past couple of releases - I’ve noticed it myself and Lee is aware of the issue, so hopefully that will be fixed soon.

I’m not sure what you mean about viewing your manuscript in corkboard mode - I can’t see any problems there. Corkboard mode only shows the top-level of documents in the selected folder - is that what you mean, or something else?

All the best,
Keith

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I wasn’t sure about the character templates, except there are instructions in the fiction: novel template (novel format folder) on how to use character templates plus the characters folder comes up in the Binder. I assumed this meant the feature was active, but obviously they’re only placeholders. Just a suggestion, but would it be worthwhile in the template’s instructions to indicate the character feature isn’t up and running?

Moving scenes/folders: Great news that you’re aware this feature is currently a little temperamental!

Corkboard: I tried to paste in a screenshot below, but when I hit paste nothing happens. So hopefully more detail will explain what I mean…When I’m in the Manuscript folder of the project and viewing in corkboard mode, I only see index cards for each chapter, not the scenes within each chapter. I’m not sure if this is a bug or just the way this template (fiction: novel) works, but my impression was that Scrivener allowed you to move lots of scenes around in Corkboard mode but currently you can’t get a complete overview of your novel on the index cards (you only get the chapter level, not the level down). This means you can’t move scenes around within Corkboard view/mode and this would be desirable for a truly visual overview of the manuscript. Is that clearer? If not, can I email you a screenshot?

Thanks,
Phillipa
PS I’m in Australia, which is why my posts are coming up in the middle of the night your time!

Hi Phillipa,

I think the problem is that at the moment the Windows version is just using the templates from the Mac version - we need to go through them and edit and change all of them, as they rely on, and describe, features that won’t be available in the Windows version for a while - that’s on our list.

As for the corkboard, that is intended behaviour. It shows the top level of documents inside the selected folder - there’s no way it could show all levels, because then what would happen when you dragged things around? It wouldn’t know where to put them. So the corkboard is for focusing on the top-level contents of a folder; if you want to expand and collapse all the various items, you need to use the outliner instead. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

In the mac version, I can CMD-click on each of my chapter folders and see the contents of each in alternating darker and lighter cork rows. I haven’t tried, but I thought you could drag cards from one folder to the next in that view… am I mistaken?

This mode doesn’t seem to be available in the windows version though. I tried with ctrl, alt and various combinations of keys & clicks, but couldn’t accomplish the same in the windows beta.

I have never used the Mac version, so I don’t know what the character templates can do on the Mac. In the windows version, I use them simply as a form, and fill them in. I create a copy of the blank template when I need a new one. I am using the Fiction/Short Story format.

I hope you don’t scrap them out of this version all together, I find them useful.

Well, that’t my vote: keep the character template (and the setting and scene templates as well), Lunarclipper

There’s nothing magical about the document templates used for Character sheets and the like in the Mac version. They are just documents with some formatting and text that is supposed to be replaced with real information, along with prompts such as “Character Name:” and the like. The mac version just makes the following a one-click operation:

1. Duplicate a “document template” file.
  2. Move the duplicate to the place in the binder specified by the user.
  3. Select the binder name of the duplicate so the user can easily rename it.

So while the PROJECT templates may no longer contain document template examples in future Windows releases, you can feel free to add copies of these documents into the binder of any project and then use them by following the above steps. Once WinScriv catches up to MacScriv, you can just collect those document templates into one folder, tell Scrivener that that folder is for templates, and voila; Using them will just get easier.

This is an advanced Mac 2.0 feature so won’t be available in the Windows version for a while.

All the best,
Keith

Oh sure, they’ll stay; just references to how they work as document templates that are Mac-specific will be removed. Instead you’ll just use the Duplicate command to make copies as you need them to fill out and file elsewhere into your project (and that can get mentioned in the project template instructions, too). That’s how it used to work on the Mac version prior to 1.54.