I was about to send my latest book manuscript to my proofreader by compiling it to a .doc format but when I went to check it my MS Word wouldn’t open it. I’ve tried compiling it this way several times. Even shut down the program and the computer and started over. No good.
I’ve attached the error message.
I was able to compile it to a rtf and it opened fine. What can I do to correct the compiling to .doc?
Which version of Scrivener are you using? 2.2 or one of the betas?
All the best,
Just checking in to see if anyone knows what went wrong here? Should I go back to another non-beta version?
Could you please zip up (ctrl-click on the file in Finder and select “Compress ‘filename’…”) the project and send it to me at kb-tech-support AT literatureandlatte DOT com so that I can see what is going wrong?
Thanks and all the best,
I’m recovering from a hard drive crash…thank god I have a Time Machine for back up. It’ll be a few days before I can get back to this. At that time, I’ll retry the compile and let you know if I’m still having any trouble.
Thanks! Sorry to hear about your hard drive crash - ouch.
All the best,
Okay, I’m mostly recovered from the hard drive crash (thanks to my Time Machine) and have run into the problem with MS Word doc files again so will be sending one to you, Keith, via email.
Hope it can be fixed easily and doesn’t send you into a ‘crying jag.’
checking in to see if you received the file I emailed to you yesterday?
Checking in one more time to see if the file I emailed on May 16 to Keith as requested that I could not compile to a Word doc has been received.
My current version of Scrivener after reinstalling after my hard drive crash is 18.104.22.168 (17148). Hope I can get this resolved.
PS just realized I’d previously sent the MS Word doc that won’t when you probably need the Scrivener file that produced it so just sent that as well. wbs
I have a similar but different .doc problem - I’ve got several projects, but my longest project, a finished novel of 110K words has been compiled successfully before. However, the latest .doc compilation can be opened by my Word for Mac, but it cannot be send as an email attachment through my Yahoo Mail on Safari. I finally had to put the doc file on a USB stick and transfer it to a PC to mail over my Yahoo Mail through Firefox.
Now here’s the thing - on the USB stick was the doc plus two temp folders Scrivenener had made. Also, after I closed Word and Scrivener, I couldn’t drag the .doc file to the trash, because ‘the file was still in use’’, but it isn’t opened anywhere. And it opens fine in Word for Mac, no corruption whatsoever, so why it can’t be send as an attachment while the other .doc files made with Scrivener work perfectly, I don’t understand that. It’s like there’s something wrong with how I formatted the file, although I formatted other files with the same parameters and no problems whatsoever…
I’m at a loss here.