Compile to Docx Mishandles Font

[Moving this from this Tech Support post to Bug Hunt.]

I have run into a problem whereby Scrivener seems to deliver out the wrong font name on compile resulting in the font setting not being recognized further down the road (InDesign).

DETAILS:

I have a compile layout aimed at producing docx files set in

Adobe Garamond Pro.

But when the result is opened in Word, Words toolbar widget shows the font name as:

AGaramondPro-Regular

Now, when I place this docx file into my InDesign project, InDesign says it can’t find that font and substitutes the default font (and, by the by, crushes all my italics along the way).

MORE HINTS:

If in the compiled word doc I Select All in Word and pick ‘Adobe Garamond Pro’ in the Word font menu, then Word correctly reports the font as ‘Adobe Garamond Pro’ in its toolbar widget and the resulting docx also imports into InDesign correctly. (In fact, Word seems to understand that the above named font is connected to Adobe Garamond Pro, b/c is displays the correct font and shows a checkbox by that font in its Font menu – though the font must still be picked to correct for the problem.)

I gather that ‘AGaramondPro-Regular’ is something like the postscript name of the font and Scrivener is using the Postscript name of the font at a certain point when Compiling instead of the family name of the font, and this is the source of the confusion.

In it’s own font pop-ups, Scrivener duly shows the font to be named ‘Adobe Garamond Pro’.

Compiling to RTF instead of DOCX avoids the problem. The resulting rtf file correctly reports the font as Adobe Garamond Pro. But doing this loses other crucial features for this workflow (stlye specifications are not preserved into the rtf).

Opening the docx, selecting all, and reasserting the font choice of Adobe Garamond Pro from the Word menu fixes the problem.


Scrivener (or the docx java converter) is at some point grabbing the wrong name for the font and using it.

All Best,
Greg

Do you see the same problem when you use Scrivener’s custom .docx converter (turning off the Java converter in the Preferences)?

All the best,
Keith

If Enhanced Converters is enabled, then I get the problem whether use-Java-version is enabled or not.*

Also, the root phenomenon is not font-specific (hence nothing punky to do with my installation of Adobe Garamond Pro). Text set in Courier Prime in Scriv when compiled As-Is (using Default compile format) to docx shows its font as being set to the Postscript name of the font (CourierPrime) rather than its proper name (Courier Prime).

Best,
Greg

  • Assuming I am messing with the right setting here: Scriv Prefs > Sharing > Conversion!

Actually I meant turning off “Use enhanced converters” entirely, because that will cause Scrivener to use its own custom converters. The text in the Preferences panel is misleading in that regard - it currently says that if you turn off the enhanced converters, Scrivener will use Apple’s built-in converters and the quality will be worse, so it recommends always having “enhanced” turned on. As of the latest update, though, that’s not true - my own custom converter is used instead. I deliberately haven’t changed the wording just yet, though, because my custom converter is still a little experimental and I want to make sure it is thoroughly tested before it is recommended (it may eventually replace the Java converter entirely).

Strangely, I’m not seeing the problem, though. When I export to .docx using either method, Word shows “Adobe Garamond Pro”.

All the best,
Keith

Hi, Keith,

Ah-ha. If I turn off Enhanced Converters, the problem does not occur. – And everything else also looks fine for my use case with the custom converter, so that’s good for me.

Thanks,
Greg

Details FWIW: I am running High Sierra. I can reproduce the effect (with enhanced converters on) with fonts which live in the System library, the user Library or Courier Prime which lives in the Scriv package, of course. I have tried it and reproduce it with otf and ttf fonts. One way I can see that the Word file has been given the Postscript name of the font rather than its font name, it by using Format > Font and noting the name in the Font field. I am still running Word 2011.

Ahem, in your other thread,

on 23rd April, Xiamenese wrote:

Perhaps I wasn’t explicit about turning off the Enhanced Converters completely! :wink:

:laughing:

Mark

Yep, the stuff about Keith’s new internal converter was to me arcane/insider knowledge,* so I was the (admittedly) misleading preference dialog. But a smik-smak from Keith woke me up to the secret knowing.

gr

  • Obviously I didn’t read through the changelist for the last update like you know I usually do. :smiley:

I had actually meant to put some information about the new converters in the Beta Testing forum, encouraging those who don’t mind experimenting to try them out - I’ll do that in a minute.

So it seems that it’s the Aspose Java converters that are causing the PostScript names to be used. I do see the same thing as you with Courier Prime, but as that is a custom font, that may be the problem there. Adobe Garamond Pro looks okay, though, as do most other fonts - but then I’m on Mojave.