I am writing an item to be read on an iPad. It compiles nicely, but I have found that in a couple of places sentences are lost as the page is turned on the iPad. It happens in the same place for each instance. I have tried removing the sentences, but it just eliminates more. I have tried saving as a PDF and that is perfect. Spent hours on this, but no success. Any help would be appreciated. I am using Scrivener 2.2 with Lion.
That sounds very strange - have you tried opening the epub file in different ebook readers to rule out a problem with the book reader? Is this on iBooks or somewhere else? The text in an epub is just HTML, so it’s up to the ebook reader to lay it out.
All the best,
I have opened it in Stanza and that works OK. I am using iBooks on my iPad. I have quite a few pictures throughout my book. At first I tried taking one of those out that was near the problem but it made no difference. What happens is when I turn to the page there is a flicker and then it settles down and the text is missing. I think it is there, but rejected for some reason. I have about 600 pages and have only discovered the problem on two pages, but I have not gone through the complete book. It occurs at the page change and in the same place. I just turn the page and a couple of sentences are missing. I have tried taking out sentences all around, but the problem is still there. Very strange.
Do you have widow/orphan control turned on in your compile settings? And is the missing text near the top or bottom of a page?
It’s a long shot, but I can see how it might result in a page being “too long” and therefore getting rejected by the e-reader.
What about if you try it in Adobe Digital Editions, too? To be honest, this sounds as though it might be an iBooks bug. (Katherine - widows and orphans control isn’t available for e-book export, because there is no concept of “pages” in an e-book any more than in a web page - ebook readers may choose to display text as though they are on pages, but that is just a UI decision on the part of the e-reader developer, entirely separate from the underlying file - which is what makes me think this is an iBooks bug.)
All the best,
Thank you both. I was coming to the conclusion that it was an iBooks issue because it seemed to be OK in Stanza, then I tried it in Kobo and the problem returned. Now I think that I may have resolved it. I removed the two images and it was OK in iBooks. Then I replaced them one at a time and with the second one the problem returned. So I have just removed the second image and it seems to be OK. Keep my fingers crossed.
Since completing the above I have had a good look at the offending jpeg file and found it to be very large. After reducing the size I have reinstalled it and all seems well. This may be useful info if anyone strikes the same problem in the future
Glad you got it sorted! From what you say, it sounds as though the size of the image was causing problems with the layout in those programs, then. Stanza may not have been affected because it flows without trying to create pages. Thanks for sharing the solution!
All the best,