Compile/word count not picking the right draft

Compile only chooses a certain draft and I can’t get it to switch. I know I can compile by choosing “current section” but doing that messes with my total live word count. I’ve tried finding the draft I want in compile drop down menu but the draft I want isn’t an option. The only difference I can see is the icon next to draft name is different (white page with typing over blue folder instead of just blue folder) and I can’t seem to change it. I’ve even tried clicking and I clicking the boxes in the options part of “show project targets. I’d appreciate any help you can give.

There is one and only one blessed Draft/Manuscript folder.

1 Like

What @gr said. There is only one Draft folder. You can move things in and out of it, and you can choose to Compile only part of it, but it’s the source that all Compile commands use.

1 Like

Make a new top-level folder and move all the stuff that is currently in the blessed Draft folder into it. (I gather what is there is a complete previous draft you are retaining.) Now the blessed Draft folder is empty. (If you renamed the blessed folder, you might want to change the name back to something general like Draft or Manuscript). You probably then want to move your current draft stuff into it, since that is what you always want to compile at this point.

(( With some kinds of projects — that have multiple separate things in them (like short stories) — I like to leave the Draft folder empty and move material in and out of it depending on what I want to compile at the moment. ))

2 Likes

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! You are all the best!!

I’m writing a book so when I created a duplicate of the original, I worked on the duplicate and not the original. You all solved my problem. I am forever indebted to you!