Compiling for Kindle

Lee & team,

You probably already know but just in case. When compiling for the Kindle format:

[]It doesn’t keep font format.
[
]It doesn’t place Chapter Name.
[]Loses of title page format.
[
]It treats each text file as a chapter.

With August 15 fast approaching you all have probably fixed these problems. In just the short time that I have used this program I can tell that this is an amazing program.

Gary Conway

I can confirm this behaviour.

Compiling to ePub worked well (though the font seemed large at its base size), but I couldn’t get it to compile to .mobi at all. It kept saying there was an error.

Surely treating every file as a chapter is the correct action? Though losing the title isn’t.

What compile settings do you have? That will make a difference to how things come out. Also you should be aware that the Kindle, at least, will apply its own formatting–font, font size, etc–so the formatting that you can do during compile will be much more limited than for other file formats. Some features are still missing–e.g. resizing for titles, for example, needs to be done for the Kindle by setting a heading number, and this isn’t in beta 026.

When you say it treats each text file as a new chapter, what do you mean?–That there’s a section break between them? That all the files are listed in the table of contents? Any further details here about what you’re doing and what you’re seeing as a result will help make sure we have this sorted. Thanks!

I’ve been having this problem too. I have Scrivener set with a folder for each chapter, then each scene in this chapter/folder is a new text document.

When I compile I would like each new chapter to start on a new page, but between scenes I only want an extra line, or some kind of separator (ie ‘#’) - depending on the compile settings.

This works perfectly if I compile to a Word document, or html and upload that to Kindle. However if compile to .mobi format, every new scene starts on a brand new page - ie there’s a page/section break between them, regardless of the Scrivener compile settings.

This is also reflected in the TOC - it lists each new scene as though it’s a chapter.

Hope this helps

Huh?

How are you getting compile to epub or kindle to do anything at all? My understanding is that it’s not supposed to be supported at all. How are you getting it to work?

This is what I get when I try it, every time:

ebook-warning.jpg

For that you need to go into the Meta-Data tab in compile (click the “…” button to see the expanded options) and then you can type in Author, Title, Date, etc. Ultimately, when Lee’s implemented a way to use variables for these fields, this should be done automatically based on information you’ve already given and you’d just need to modify it if you wanted changes, but it wouldn’t prevent you from compiling.

I’d like to know what version you’re talking about here. There is no such thing as the “Meta-Data tab in compile” in the version 0.0.26, which is what I’m running on Windows 7, and which is what I thought this forum was about. [This is the first version of Scrivener I’ve installed, so is there a problem with the packaging or something??]

But I see mention of compile to .mobi and .epub being supported since the 025 beta… so I’m confused.

Is it or isn’t it? And if so, where is the “Meta-Data” tab? Here’s what my compile window looks like:

compile-properties.jpg

Doesn’t look like there’s a Meta-Data tab to me (or any tabs, for that matter-panes, yes, tabs, no). Is it hidden somewhere else? Since I would very much like to compile to ebook and mobi formats, it would be nice if someone could point out for me what I’m missing here. The only other “Meta-Data” I see is the labels and status settings at the project level, which is something different.

Make sure you have an e-book format selected at the bottom. You have “Print” selected, so there will naturally not be any meta-data associated with it, since most paper doesn’t have meta-data fields inside its fibres. :wink:

Some day, I wouldn’t be surprised if it does!

Yes, as Ioa says, you need to choose epub or mobi from the “Compile For” drop-down menu at the bottom, which I assume you did at some point before since you got that error message on compile. The list of options in the left column will change so that in addition to “Contents”, “Formatting,” etc. there will be a listing for “Meta-Data” and when you click that you’ll have the opportunity to enter the author name, title, etc.

And you’re right, they’re not really tabs. Sorry to be confusing about that.

Thanks, I see how I missed it. I didn’t think that the “compile panes” list would change to add “Cover” and “Meta-Data” once I selected “epub” or “mobi” output, so I never noticed them. It’s like finding an easter egg in Rogue, or something.

Anyway, thanks for patiently pointing out my error. I’m going to presume that the next version of the manual will be updated.

Nathan

Hiding and revealing compile panes might seem a touch gratuitous right now, but in time there will be more panes available, and it will become clear as to why this is to your advantage. In the Mac version there are close to twenty different panes, but for most formats the relevant ones are more like ten. So reducing unnecessary complexity is imperative, and thus even though there aren’t a bunch of them yet in Windows, building a framework toward that scalability is time well spent.

Guess what my brain is currently festering with.

These are currently still issues and I am on version 46… No matter what I do, when I compile to mobi it begins every file on a new page… this includes folders, documents within folders, etc. Is anyone else seeing this… For all the people that are trying to get book out for the holidays, this is a serious issue…

Same for me on v49

Me, too.

I can confirm this for 049.

Lee’s working on fixing the ebook compile issues this week so they should be all set for 1.0.