Compiling is too complex, can't get it to work

I am trying to compile to rtf and no matter how many different ways I tick the different boxes, I can’t get it to work–
the problem is that I have my own headers/chapter titles in the text of each document as well as those same titles in the folder/ files in the binder.
What I want: Automatic chapter numbers- leave the titles that I have in the text.
I’ve found tho that there are issues with not ticking titles–as the table of contents will not include the titles or the numbers… I’ve made at least 50 versions of this document trying to get the right combo. Please, someone help. I wish there was a live preview–