Compiling the Draft

Forgive me is this is covered elsewhere – probably so – but I can’t fine it. My question: when compiling a draft, how do I format it so there is no separation between documents? There doesn’t seem to be a button for that.
Thanks

In the “Text Options” pane of the Export dialog, in the “Sections” sub-pane, you have the choice of “Single newlines”, “Double newlines” or a glyph that you can select to separate non-folder sections. If that is the separation you are referring to, then the only ways to remove it, as far as I can see, would be:

(1) to duplicate the draft folder, so you don’t overwrite the original, and then go through it merging those documents that you would want to run on without the separation, then export that version;
(2) export it as is, then open it in your word-processor of choice, replacing double returns with single returns.

As far as I can see, there is no other way in the current version, though maybe this is one of the changes to the export routine that Keith is introducing in version 2.

Mark

The option “Single Return” means that in the compiled draft, all documents end up glued together as if all text was written in one long flow.

The option “Double Return” puts an empty line between documents.

I suppose it’s simply the first option you need. At least, try this first before duplicating the draft folder etc.

However, be aware that empty lines at the end of documents will always remain! Scrivener will not supress trailing empty lines in the compile process.

:frowning: Just shows how often I have done this. By far the bulk of my work is in the form of editing generally short texts that need to be kept separate, not glued together. And when I do, about twice a year, have a string of documents to compile together, I want the gaps, so I presumed that came from the “single newline” option, which I have selected, whereas it must come from a blank line at the end of each document.

You lives and learns!

Mark

I don’t know if that is what the original poster actually wants, but if you really do want:

Document A

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Document B

Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

To compile like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Then this might be one of those cases where it is be best to merge the documents together in Scrivener. Ordinarily I’m always advocating split, but I’m not sure if it is productive to have things knocked out into sub-paragraphs by the time you are ready to compile a manuscript.

Hopefully all you wanted was just to get rid of the [b]###[/b] scene separators or something, though. It would be highly unusual to want to merge all documents in the above fashion (which is why there is no function for it).