Compiling to DOCX body tex always Times 10

When I compile, regardless of what format I put the body text in for the section (chapter), it always spits it out to DOCX in Times 10. I’ve changed it to Garamond, Palatino, Wingdings. Always: Times New Roman 10pt.

What am I missing?

This, perhaps ?

It wouldn’t explain the font size, but it would explain the family.

I don’t think so. The section text is actually in Palatino 13.

What I showed above overrides it. (But only the family.)

Did you use styles in your body text ?

right, but I’m getting Times in the compile. I misspoke, the section text is where I’m setting the font and size (editing the section layout). The editor is in Palatino.

Yes, but did you use a style(s) in the editor?

And why do we see Times Roman 12 in your screenshot?

Do you specifically mention Docx because you’ve tried compiling to other formats and everything was fine? What if you try other formats?

[EDIT] Is your concern actually only with the font size ? You want TNR, just not 10pt ?

Is Word itself imposing a style template? If compiling to PDF is fine, but Word is enforcing a specific font, it’s probably a Word issue.

1 Like

To add to that, a sanity test would be to compile to RTF and then drop the .rtf file back into your Binder and examine the font. If that works, then try the same exact thing but with DOCX.

If that all works fine, you know the problem isn’t with Scrivener, and no more messing around with compile settings is necessary. You can focus on figuring out what is wrong with the program opening it.

i can try this. It pulls up in Word as TNR 10 (I want 12). Even when I change the font, it’s still TNR10.

The style in the editor is Palatino 13 (as mentioned). I can try PDF, but I need to be able to edit the output.

well, that was quick. Compiled to .RTF, pulled it in, TNR 10 for the body.

compiled to PDF, it’s encoding fonts as “roman”. Can’t tell the size.

All right! Have you double-checked all of the Section Layouts that have the “Text” checkbox ticked? The screenshot definitely does indicate the one you are looking at is in use, we can see that from the footer bar below the layout list, where it prints the project’s Types that are using it (“Chapter” in this case), but if something else is actually doing most of the body text output that hasn’t been checked, that might be the culprit.

I did check that. This is the only one checked “text”. The items are marked as “chapter” section type, and I edit that section by clicking the pencil in the top right corner (see screenshot). I’ve unchecked “text” on all the others trying to narrow it down. Will double-check, but was doing all this before I hopped on. :slight_smile:

I am hesitant to rule out the style hypothesis already. But, on the other hand, with what is known now, that would be not so likely the case. You would have had to add it to the styles panel of your compile format while it was TNR 10…

. . . . . . .

You pulled it in… SCRIVENER as Amber said to, right ? Not in word.

yes, into scrivener.

I re-copied the Scrivener default 6x9 template and used it, now it only compiles in Palatino 10. Editor is in Palatino 13. I’ve tried a lot more things using this template, still only Palatino 10.

So… explain what you mean by “styles panel”. I think i’m tracking.

so, problem solved. I’m still going to blame Scrivener. Lack of consistency in operations.

When I click on the Chapter section when editing a layout, I can highlight the text and change the font. I can do that for the Chapter Heading (“Chapter 1”), and chapter title (“In the Beginning”). So naturally, I highlight the section text and change the font/size/style there too. Right?

no. I have to go to the Body style and change it there.

So why is it that it works with the Chapter title etc, but not the body text? If I’m able to highlight one and change it, I should be able to highlight any of it, and change it.

:crazy_face:

Technically, you don’t have to use a style there.
If I follow, you did, and it was hidden behind the font selection popup in your screenshot. (?)

Or you styled everything in the editor, like I said earlier. (?)

Why are you using a “body” style?

That’s the issue. The Section Layout defines how unstyled text is handled, and you can change that text via the Section Layout Editor. But text with an assigned Style is intentionally not affected by changes to the “No Style” default formatting.

Right. Styles are only for text segments (as in bits) that are to be compiled with a different formatting than the body text overall formatting.
Don’t style everything if that’s what you did.

Fix : Backup your project, then simply delete that style from the project. All text of this style will rebecome “no style”.
Then select a chunk of a paragraph, go to the options, and in the Editing / Formatting tab, set the formatting the way you want it. (There is a button to mimic currently selected text.) That’ll fix it (your default formatting, what you though you had to use a style for) for future documents.
Use Document / Convert / Text to Default Formatting for pre-existing documents if needed.

In the section layout, the highlighted text is set to No Style. I can change the font/size there. But it still compiles using the Body Style.

I changed the default font in the Editing / Formatting tab to Courier, still compiled to (now) TNR 12 set in Body style, which is not being used.

Anyhoo… probably should move on and actually publish the book now. :rofl:

1 Like

Sure. If redefining the style in the main interface gets you what you want, might as well at this point (I take it you are done writing your book) do it like that.
Learn from the experience and do it right for the next book. :wink:

(It is not the end of the world. All you actually did is forfeit a good chunk of what the compiler can do.)