Compiling two books from one manuscript

I’m writing a non-fiction book that is currently one manuscript. I’ve decided I need to publish two versions (one for iPhone, one for Android).

I think I can do this by attaching labels to chapters and then using a filter with my compile (common, Android, iPhone for example).

Is there a better way to do this? Is this a valid use of Compile filtering by label? Will page and chapter numbers work properly? How about bookmarks and footnotes?

You might want to have a look at Chapter 24 in the Scrivener manual, which discusses the Compile function in detail.

Briefly, the Compile -> Contents pane gives you a lot of control over the documents included in the output file. Filtering by Label is one option, but you could also create a Collection for each version. There’s also the Front Matter feature, if the versions differ only in things like the title page, the copyright page, etc.

Page numbers, footnotes, etc. are all generated after the fundamental content of the output file is identified. So yes, they should just work. Although of course you should verify this before sending the file out to the world.


Thank you, I’ll study that chapter.

I did learn that filtering by labels won’t work. Each chapter can have only one label, and a filter can have only one label. So there’s no way to support do a compile that includes common chapters.

I’ll study collections further.

Yes, if you need common chapters between versions, Collections are the way to go. You can build a Collection from a keyword search, and documents can have as many keywords as you like.


Thanks Katherine. I’d tried building a collection manually, but there’s no outline structure, so I lose my organization of documents. If I use tags and search to create a collection, then compile the collection, it does sound like I can work around the 1:1 problem with labels and compile filters. (Would be simpler though if one could use tags in compile filtering). I’ll experiment with that.

PS. Was amazing to open keywords and see an Aperture UI element! Must be some story behind that.

I think the keywords mechanism will work Katherine. I found I needed to associate the keyword with the ‘folder’ that defines my chapter in order to get the chapter headings to appear. That folder then appears in the collection, but of course it shows as an item in a flat list.

Since my two books are iPhone and Android versions of the same book I have two keywords: iPhone and Android.

Some documents have one or the other keyword, some have both.

There are two saved search collections: iPhone and Android.

Compile filtering is done using ‘Documents in collection’.

Thanks again!