Conditional spacing between paragraphs, is it possible? --solved (yes)

I’m a * moron.
Double-check your test cases yall.

Yes, paragraph spacing uses the highest value of the two, it does not add them together. It is effectively the “min” spacing I was hoping for.
That’s plenty for my need, add the spacing as both before/after each dialogue style, done.

After 45 min of failing to find this, I’m cutting myself here and will try again later.

My issue.
I would like to have different paragraph spacing for different styles.
More specifically, I want 0 spacing between regular text, and a small amount of padding around every dialogue style.

The issue is that no matter where that spacing goes, such as 3pt before all the dialogue styles, some combo of purely additive spacing will produce incorrect results.

In this example, 3pt before dialogue means that any transition from dialogue to regular text will be missing that spacing. If the spacing was put somewhere else, it might double it in certain scenarios, or be 0 in others.

No matter how it’s done, I need some way to have conditional spacing. I need for the project to add spacing only if one of the two separating paragraphs is dialogue. Not double if both are dialogue, ect, ect.

Is there any way to have a real, under-the-hood “default style” that has settable parameters, but will use the values of any style with those numbers specified? To some extent I’m pretty sure the functionality is in there somewhere. You can type out a big block of 5k words, then highlight a sub-section, and change the formatting of a single paragraph.

That’s inheriting all the number values of the style that was already there, and conditionally using a few new values on top.

Right now, I think the faux-default “no-style” style under-the-hood is wholly separate style that gets switched to every time you hit enter. Changing(and applying it) does not interact with styles the way I need it to.
If there is some way to overlap/mix the default with a style on top, that would be conditional enough for my need.

A completely alternative solution to this problem would be to have min and max paragraph spacing as new values for styles. Very intuitive in their use, and you would avoid the “sometimes doubling, sometimes 0” problem of purely additive paragraph spacing.

It is only a matter of how you strategically use space after or space before.
Those settings save within a style.

Space after and space before don’t add to one another. Scrivener then uses the highest of both values.
A paragraph with a space after of 10pt followed by a paragraph with a space before of 5pt = 10pt space between. Not 15.

If you have too many conditions, design styles specifically for first or last paragraphs, so to meet those.
(Try and keep things as simple as possible.) :wink:

1 Like

No you are not.
We all do that type of little mistakes from time to time.
Only, less and less as experience kicks in. :wink:

1 Like

I dove down that entire rabbit hole because something about my test seemed to double the spacing, which does not happen. :skull:

Thank you again dude, you’re a legend. :+1:

1 Like