You can also download the Scrivener (v3) project file and compile formats used to create the book here.
On Saturday 14th May 2022 we’re running a very special edition of Novel-in-a-Day where we drop the ‘Novel…’ part of our name and dip our gloriously pedicured toes into the warm and inviting waters of non-fiction!
We’re going to write a cookbook… and, because it’s us, we’re going to prove once again that #TimeIsNoSubstituteForTalent do it all in a single day!
If you’ve taken part in one of our regular ‘Novel-in-a-Day’ events, you’ll have a pretty good idea what’s in store. On the day of the event, participants will prepare a dish of their choosing (which they get to eat, of course), take a few photos, and write up the recipe. When done (and most definitely by 8pm UK time) you email all that over and we’ll combine all that using the magic of Scrivener into one large cookbook!
You’ll need to email us with the following:
- Confirmation of your forum handle (it’s not always clear form your email addresses etc)!
- The name of the dish
- A list of ingredients
- The description of how to cook the dish (“the method”)
- 1 photo of the completed dish
- IF NEEDED, up to 2 additional photos from the prep phase.
- A short story (500-1,500 words expected but not strictly enforced) about the dish
It can be anything you like, such as how you came up with the recipe, what the dish means to your local community, or all about your relationship with your grandma who you used to cook it with every Thursday after school. It’s totally up to you, as long as it’s connected to the recipe you’re submitting.
That’s up to you. We’d LOVE it if you tell us in advance (either when you sign up, or closer to the date when you’ve had chance to think about it) and if you do we’ll make a note of it next to your name on the sign up sheet.
The one thing we do have to insist on is that this is your own recipe — ie, you’re not allowed to make a recipe from an existing cookbook and submit that. We don’t want any copyright issues!
While we’d prefer not to have a cookbook that consists entirely of twenty-seven recipes for cheesy chips, if that’s the dish you know and love and have a story you can tell about it, go for it!
Yes, including on the day itself if you have to!
The beauty of the the cookbook format is that there is no upper limit! The only caveat to that is that the more people who take part, the longer it will take to compile. I suspect we’re likely to be looking at a Sunday publication instead of our normal ‘same day delivery’, but if it takes us a week to get through it all… so be it!
Basically, the more people contributing, the BETTER. So go tell everyone you know to sign up!
You have until 8pm UK time to email over your submission. Please email this to both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. You will get an email reply once I have confirmed that I am able to open and access your submission.
Please keep an eye out for any emails in case there are problems (there is always 1 or 2 submissions each time that get corrupted for some reason and I can’t access).
- Please keep all photos under 2MB in file size.
- Note, photos may be cropped, rotated, resized and other minor edits in the final book
- Please submit text in a format that is easy for me to extract and import AS TEXT to Scrivener. An RTF file is about the easiest. Please avoid PDF as I’d have to practically retype or reformat every single line. If in doubt, just put the text in the body of the email itself!
- If you want to change your mind about recipe from somehting previously declared THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE!
- If you are stumbling on this on the day itself (May 14th 2022) and didn’t technically sign up, don’t worry - just submit anyway!
- If I’ve not heard from you at all by 8pm UK time on Saturday 14 May 2022, I will assume you are no longer submitting and will start compiling wihtout you!
- If you’re running A LITTLE late, that’s fine just make sure you let me know.
Ask them below and we’ll get back to you!