Cookbook-in-a-Day!

COOKBOOK IN A DAY IS FINISHED!

You can download the finished cookbook here…
CBiaD (PDF version)
CBiaD (ePUB version)
CBiaD (MOBI version)

You can also download the Scrivener (v3) project file and compile formats used to create the book here.

THE ORIGINAL POST AND INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOW…

On Saturday 14th May 2022 we’re running a very special edition of Novel-in-a-Day where we drop the ‘Novel…’ part of our name and dip our gloriously pedicured toes into the warm and inviting waters of non-fiction!

What are you talking about?

We’re going to write a cookbook… and, because it’s us, we’re going to prove once again that #TimeIsNoSubstituteForTalent do it all in a single day!

How would that even work?

If you’ve taken part in one of our regular ‘Novel-in-a-Day’ events, you’ll have a pretty good idea what’s in store. On the day of the event, participants will prepare a dish of their choosing (which they get to eat, of course), take a few photos, and write up the recipe. When done (and most definitely by 8pm UK time) you email all that over and we’ll combine all that using the magic of Scrivener into one large cookbook!

What will I be required to submit?

You’ll need to email us with the following:

1. Confirmation of your forum handle (it’s not always clear form your email addresses etc)!
  2. The name of the dish
  3. A list of ingredients
  4. The description of how to cook the dish (“the method”)
  5. 1 photo of the completed dish
  6. IF NEEDED, up to 2 additional photos from the prep phase.
  7. A short story (500-1,500 words expected but not strictly enforced) about the dish

What can the story be about?

It can be anything you like, such as how you came up with the recipe, what the dish means to your local community, or all about your relationship with your grandma who you used to cook it with every Thursday after school. It’s totally up to you, as long as it’s connected to the recipe you’re submitting.

What recipe will I get to make?

That’s up to you. We’d LOVE it if you tell us in advance (either when you sign up, or closer to the date when you’ve had chance to think about it) and if you do we’ll make a note of it next to your name on the sign up sheet.

The one thing we do have to insist on is that this is your own recipe — ie, you’re not allowed to make a recipe from an existing cookbook and submit that. We don’t want any copyright issues!

Can I make the same thing as someone else?

While we’d prefer not to have a cookbook that consists entirely of twenty-seven recipes for cheesy chips, if that’s the dish you know and love and have a story you can tell about it, go for it!

Can I change my mind about what I’m going to make?

Yes, including on the day itself if you have to!

How many people can take part?

The beauty of the the cookbook format is that there is no upper limit! The only caveat to that is that the more people who take part, the longer it will take to compile. I suspect we’re likely to be looking at a Sunday publication instead of our normal ‘same day delivery’, but if it takes us a week to get through it all… so be it!

Basically, the more people contributing, the BETTER. So go tell everyone you know to sign up!

How do I submit?

You have until 8pm UK time to email over your submission. Please email this to both rog@pigfender.com and rog@novelinaday.com. You will get an email reply once I have confirmed that I am able to open and access your submission.

Please keep an eye out for any emails in case there are problems (there is always 1 or 2 submissions each time that get corrupted for some reason and I can’t access).

• Please keep all photos under 2MB in file size.
  • Note, photos may be cropped, rotated, resized and other minor edits in the final book
  • Please submit text in a format that is easy for me to extract and import AS TEXT to Scrivener. An RTF file is about the easiest. Please avoid PDF as I’d have to practically retype or reformat every single line. If in doubt, just put the text in the body of the email itself!
  • If you want to change your mind about recipe from somehting previously declared THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE!
  • If you are stumbling on this on the day itself (May 14th 2022) and didn’t technically sign up, don’t worry - just submit anyway!
  • If I’ve not heard from you at all by 8pm UK time on Saturday 14 May 2022, I will assume you are no longer submitting and will start compiling wihtout you!
  • If you’re running A LITTLE late, that’s fine just make sure you let me know.

I have other questions!

Ask them below and we’ll get back to you!
#HungrierThanAnInfiniteMonkey

12 Likes

The following people have signed up:

Meat

:plate_with_cutlery: pacifika - Beef Roast with Root Veggies :white_check_mark:
:man_cook: pete340 - Possum Eggs :white_check_mark:
:plate_with_cutlery: pigfender - Beef Short Rib with Risotto Milanese :white_check_mark:
:plate_with_cutlery: SophiaWickham - Magic Fried Chicken :white_check_mark:
:plate_with_cutlery: xiamenese - Thai/Chinese Pork with Peppers :white_check_mark:

Vegetables

:man_cook: gr - Pasta Poco Vesto :white_check_mark:
:woman_cook: homeport - Mediterranean Bake with Burrata :white_check_mark:
:man_cook: Jaysen - Drunken Greens :white_check_mark:
:plate_with_cutlery: MsRestless - Cheese Spread Sandwich :white_check_mark:
:plate_with_cutlery: thegirlclaudia - Sauteéd Beet Greens Appetiser :white_check_mark:

Seafood

:plate_with_cutlery: Velviit - Ackee and Salt Fish :white_check_mark:
:plate_with_cutlery: WingNWing - Spanish Cod Stew :white_check_mark:

Desserts and Baking

:plate_with_cutlery: Alobear - Sugar Free Chocolate Brownies :white_check_mark:
:plate_with_cutlery: camy - Banana Bread :white_check_mark:
:plate_with_cutlery: katlovergilpin - Pistachio Pie :white_check_mark:
:plate_with_cutlery: sameagleusa - dutch babies :white_check_mark:

Recipe not submitted

:plate_with_cutlery: amyelilly - Liquored-Up Cupcakes
:plate_with_cutlery: AshTellsStories
:plate_with_cutlery: BronHogan
:plate_with_cutlery: Greenreadsbooks - Vegan Cake
:plate_with_cutlery: JanetL
:plate_with_cutlery: Khannah
:plate_with_cutlery: knnthwdrff - Saucisse Aux Choux Vaudoise
:plate_with_cutlery: LucaMax
:plate_with_cutlery: MaelduinTamhlacht - Apple Jelly
:plate_with_cutlery: Thrash37

Note, this post was originally launched as a ‘save the date’ teaser, hence the enquiring in the next 40 or so replies)
3 Likes

Puts a mug on the desk and stares at it.

2 Likes

Starting my finger exercises…

1 Like

This sounds exciting

1 Like

I don’t know. What are you doing Saturday 14 May 2022? :wink:

1 Like

I dunno… I struggle to work out what I had for breakfast, let alone work out what I’m doing in a completely different month!! :slight_smile: But sure… I might be persuaded to be doing… something…

3 Likes

marks an :x: on the calendar

Damn! Afraid to say that day (and the days around it) I’ll be directing rehearsals for “Arsenic & Old Lace” at Canberra Repertory. No time for writing a novel. “Break a pen!” to my erstwhile fellow scribblers.

4 Likes

Stuff. Why do you ask?

1 Like

Sorry, I’m saving the date for a tasting tour of new and exciting cooking.

1 Like

Ooh. Color me intrigued.

1 Like

I’m in :slight_smile: …but will wait impatiently to find out what I have signed myself up for. My calendar is marked.

2 Likes

It looks clear to me — potential work complications, but clear at the moment…

1 Like

This feels very much like a trick question, to which I presume the only correct answers are either:

You tell me

OR

Writing something for Pig Fender.

1 Like

Because we’re doing some new! And exciting! And because it’s us… we’ll do it “…in-a-Day”!

Will it involve a lot of coffee?

1 Like

Sounds good
I will save the date

1 Like

EVERYTHING I do involves a lot of coffee! :smiley:

I have saved the date!

1 Like