Cookbook-in-a-Day!

Had such a blast! Thank you again for all that you do, Pigfender! As always, I appreciate all the work you put into this. I will be waiting for the next one!

2 Likes

Literally, 相機「食」先。 Because we speak Cantonese o’er here. 吃 would sound like “hack” in the lingo here.

And just before we share a meal, we say, “Dai ka sik fan” (大家食飯 lit. everybody eat rice; meaning: let’s dig in).

3 Likes

Fiend. We are all partners in crime. The crime of getting away from adulting to just write. Teeeeee heeeeee

Here’s “Seventy-Six Trombones” — one to go with each meal

1 Like

I have to ask. How do those of you get the cute little mugs in your profile picture? :grinning: It reminds me how much I miss my NiaD mugs.

2 Likes

Yes. Exactly. A soft fried egg on top for a warm hearty breakfast. Add some crusty bread (soaks up the liquid) throw fried egg noodles in and you have an odd “salad”.

When I make a pot of Drunken Greens we eat it all week. I eat it three meals a day. The boss typically refuses more than 2x per day. I will warn you that collards will scrub the innards. Don’t plan travel with a couple extra rolls of paper in the car.

Ask me how I know this. I dare you.

5 Likes

It’s a “flair” on this forum. Here: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/u/[your_user_name_here!!!]/preferences/account

@pigfender’s yellow mug is “NiaD_Moderators” and the only one available to us is a blue NiaD mug like mine.

For newbies who don’t know about the history of NiaD mugs
In a previous version of this L&L forum (I think that version was known as phpbb / BBPress / bbPress / bbForum or something like that; this current version is Discourse), there was the option for all users to add signatures to their forum posts. Piggy made mugs for contributors to commemorate which NiaD they did. Like mine were 2018 (which was held in Jan 2019), 2019 and 2020, as well as an NiaD 9½ somewhere halfway through 2019, so my mugs were labelled “2018”, “2019” and a separate picture for NiaD 9½.

3 Likes

Well, nothing slips by you, tgc!

Seventy-six good meals in a single day,
With a hundred and ten small snacks on the side.
They were filling a thousand needs,
With dishes meant to please,
There were meals of every shape & size!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help!

1 Like

My absolute pleasure!

Already halfway reading through @pacifika’s work!

1 Like

I want to give you one more :heart: but I can’t :joy:

2 Likes

Good new idea for a laxative. Mr Bean’s restoration of Whistler’s Mother comes to mind. After finishing a difficult software programming project (freelance), I was about to send that clip to my client until I realised she might not understand it. I’m putting it here instead to celebrate the completion of our cookbook.

1 Like

I know where it is. :smiley: It’s one of those areas in London for which you follow signposts, but then suddenly it no longer appears on the signposts but you’re not sure if you’re there or not. :rofl:

I’ve never actually been there, in the sense of Peckham Rye being my destination, but I lived in Brockley, slightly further east, for a year.
And my mother lived in Mottingham near Sidcup, while we lived in Chiswick in West London. For 9 years, I drove over every Saturday to take her to do her weekly shopping and have lunch together in her favourite pub up the road in Chislehurst. I had about 7 different routes, a couple of which took me through Peckham.

As for your recipe, ‘Ackee’ came into my consciousness in the 1950s with Harry Belafonte singing ‘Jamaica Farewell’, but I had no idea what it was, and still don’t really. I’ve never had it, but one day…

Mark

1 Like

Ah! I wasn’t sure if it was 广东话 or 潮州话 since I don’t know either (潮州话 is a sub-dialect of 闽南话 I believe). Although I lived in 厦门 for 14 years, acquiring a degree of fluency in Mandarin was more important than trying to learn 闽南话! So I was having to guess at what your transcription represented. ‘shih’ or ‘chih’ (‘shi’ and ‘chi’ in Pinyin) to ‘sik’ seem possible, while ‘chih’ to ‘hak’ seems strange, particularly as the Hakka people (客家) of northern 广东 and southern 福建 are “k’e chia” (kejia in Pinyin).

Anyway, your recipe will be useful for us. We periodically get Swiss or other types of chard in our organic veg box and have never been too sure how best to cook it. Also, this year, we are just about to plant some beetroot, so… :smile:

Mark

P.S. Apologies for the simplified characters … that’s what I’m used to and my keyboard is set to! :laughing:

P.P.S. I won’t ask where ‘here’ is in case I get turned into toast if I do! :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

No worries, I can read both Traditional and Simplified Chinese. Ironic that, although I like to use the word “toast”, my recipe doesn’t involve it. Maybe my next entry for CBiaD would be about some kind of toast, such as French toast. Hard to say though!

1 Like

I’m sure you meant to say “… without a couple…”! :rofl:

Anyway, one of the ‘lost in translation’ bits is ‘collard greens’; I had to look it up … from the mediaeval ‘colewort’, i.e. ‘kale’ by any other name.

A year or so ago, we were given the stem of a plant with the instruction, “Just stick it in the ground; it’ll grow.” Currently it looks like this:

We don’t know what variety it is, but it is far superior to any kale from other sources. So, if ever I can get bacon in the piece, I’d be interested in trying your recipe… though I wouldn’t be timing it with glasses of wine! :laughing:

Mr X

2 Likes

Thanks, Rog, for the hard work that this required. Editing everything into the same format must have been quite a chore!

2 Likes

Yes. Without. I suggest a roll per 2hr travel. I find that after a bout a month of the greens being the main dish you’re safe. You’re also much lighter.

You need the wine. It’s how you time the cooking! But you have to drink it like me. That’s the magic.

If you get Swiss chard you can use it too (I see you mentioned it to TCG above). Just reduce the simmer time. You want the veg to be just a bit on the done side. Like al dente pasta. When you reheat the pot it will cook a bit more. If you make it perfect you have mush by the last serving. That’s bad.

1 Like

Yes @Jaysen I am indeed TCG: The Chinese Gurl. :izakaya_lantern: And mister dismal sometimes refers to himself as boi. Silly me. Or him. Or both of us go wacky together. We make a nice couple in my imagination.

Problem is:

1. A glass of wine is a difficult measure of time… how big is your glass? How fast do you drink it?

2. Keeping my alcohol intake low is one of my needs these days; 250ml/day of wine is my current maximum.

Anyway, it reminds me of the great Keith Floyd whose programmes revolutionised TV cookery shows over here. He was a great chef, but he was very much a “one for the pot, one for the chef” man. Most famous was the time he prepared a dinner for a Welsh rugby club (or was it the Welsh National rugby squad). By the time the food was cooked, he was high seas over and when he entered the dining room with the platter, he dropped the whole lot on the floor! :rofl: :rofl:

Mr X

2 Likes