Copy and Paste Lose All need to keep Italics Issue

Hello,

Ok, so I have yet to convince my editor to use Scrivener but I believe it is coming. So, when I am done with a section of my writing I export (compile) to an RTF (Word) file and she edits away. I then get the file back. At this point, I need to copy her changes in (easiest to grab whole chapter and copy and paste) to my Scrivener manuscript. The problem that I have is if I just do a “Paste” then it takes the Word formatting and totally screws up the formatting in Scrivener. If I “Paste and Match Style” I lose all style and formatting including Italics which in novels represents the character’s thoughts, which means I then have to go over by hand and reapply the italics (which is a real pain on larger chapters). If I try to do a “Paste” which keeps the Italics and everything else and then attempt to “Apply a Formatting Preset” (which by the way the default manuscript for fiction formatting is not in the list I had to create the style to apply it), I lose the Italics. Is there anyway to have it match things like font and paragraph formatting but be able to keep the italics from the copied text? It is really frustrating me.

Thanks,
JH

Why not just drag her Word file into the Binder, as a sub-document of the file you’re working on, open it in another window, and drag (or copy) the corrections from her Doc to yours?

That’s what I do with my authors–all of whom are using Word, or some variation thereof. The formatting and comments stick just fine.

How do you do that?

I did grab the word file (in docx format do I need to change that?) and drag it into the binder under research and it pops up with a dialog about not supported import file and may lose stuff. I click ok to continue and do not see edits only the final version. Is there a setting or did I do something wrong?

Thanks,
JH

Ok, if I convert the file to an RTF before importing it seems to have the changes but it does weird things with them. For example, if a word was deleted and a new word put in its place both words show up. Not sure why? I do like the way the comments show up.

Any suggestions?

This is going to work out great. Thanks! Just need to figure out why I have both words for editing. If they were different colors it would help.

JH

That’s track changes in Word, which leaves behind, usually with strikethrough, whatever the editor in question has replaced … and it shows up in RTF. I’m sure this habit can cause embarrassment, with a client getting to see something inappropriate that should have been replaced with no trace left behind.

Mark

[EDIT] Oh, and Ahab meant into the Draft folder next to the text it’s based on, not into the Research folder … they have different rules as to what they will accept. The Draft folder should accept docx files without problem; at least it has in my experience.

You will have to forgive me here.

I used the preset format that does not have a “Draft” folder but a “Manuscript” folder. So, I created a new project to try this using the “Blank” format and have a “Draft” folder. However, importing anywhere inside the draft, outside the draft or in research or anywhere gives me the same message about having to convert first to RTF and will lose information. When I open it after importing, it has NOTHING but the plain text. No comments, no tracked changes nothing. If I import the RTF that I made out of Word before I import into Scrivener, I get it to come in ok, but for edited text it shows the old and the new smashed together as one word (example cause because caused and in the imported RTF looks like causecaused with no other formatting to tell me that it was an edit making it so that I have to look for misspelled words but just about every name in my story is considered misspelled).

How do I import into the Draft folder as you mentioned so that it just opens the .docx file without problems?

Thanks,
JH

Manuscript and Draft are just the same thing … I believe the name “Manuscript” is there in the novel template just for convenience for novel writers … You can rename that folder anything you like.

Just checked, for me, I simply drag them from a finder window into the place I want them in the binder within the Draft folder. I know that if it’s .docx images can come too, though they can be a problem if they haven’t been downsized before importing into the original .docx. Italics hasn’t been something that has mattered to me, though I’m pretty sure they have come over. I don’t want to open the project which has most of that as it’s nearly 1GB in size, so I’m going by memory on images and italics.

Mark

That seem to be the same way with loading a .docx file I lose all comments and track changes. It does import just no track changes so I can not tell where the changes are.

If I export in Word as an RTF and then import, I get the comments. I do not get changes which when I open the RTF in any other program they are there. And to make it worse as mentioned above it puts the changes right next to each other. One of the worse examples is “looming” was changed in Word to “The looming” and in the imported RTF it is “lookingThe looming” and it does not show up as a misspelled word. I would have no idea it is there if I was just scanning the document for changes.

Is there any way to import a Word document and see the tracked changes highlighted similar to the way Word itself does it (strikethrough for deletes and different color for inserts)?

Thanks,
JH

Sorry, I’m with you now. It is my collaborators who would have to cope with track changes, not me, if that were an issue. I know I’ve met the repeating words, though I think it was when opening .doc or .docx in NeoOffice rather than Scrivener. I think this one’ll have to wait for Keith. Scrivener uses the somewhat flawed Apple importer/exporter for .doc/.docx files, so only he will be able to answer authoritatively. I do know that it was only comparatively recently that Nisus got it working so that Nisus Writer Pro can handle track changes — they have a team working on it, and they use the OpenOffice importer/exporter, though Keith doesn’t for technical reasons, I believe.

Mark

Ok I will wait to see what Keith says.

Thanks,
JH

I didn’t use Track Changes even when I worked in Word. I found two problems: one, it leave a trail of digital detritus that InDesign tends to choke on in random and infuriatingly unnoticeable ways (until you see the printed page); two, some, uh, fragile authors who’ve suffered a heavy edit tend to freak when they see all those changes, but when they get back an invisibly streamlined version of their deathless prose, suitably ornamented with discrete marginal comments about Did you Mean This and not That?, they congratulate themselves for being such skilled craftsmen.

Itals, BF, and other reasonable formatting seems to survive the two-way import-export just fine, though I find .docx slightly squirrelier than .doc.

In this case I am the author and want to see the changes so first off I can make sure that the story is intact as I have found an error where the correction changed the meaning slightly but enough that it had to be recharged. In addition I try to learn for the changes so hopefully future writings will be better. So I want to see the changes.

JH

As far as I know, Scrivener doesn’t do Track Changes in a Word-compatible way. Apple Pages does, and of course Word. If you need to work with an editor who’s using Word’s proprietary Track Changes feature, I think you’ll pretty much have to work in Word (or Pages).

The typical Scrivener work flow is to work exclusively in Scrivener up until submission, then to export to a word-processing program (which Scrivener isn’t; it’s a writing program) for a final format and the editing phase, where you expect to endure a series of back-and-forths with an editor working in Word.

I do realize that is a typical flow and I could do that up until I need Scriveners export to eBook formats that Word does not do. And I would be fine doing all the edits in Word but as mentioned in the first post I have an issue bringing the final changes back into my scrivener project because I lose the italics formatting. That way once back in scrivener I can export at will with whatever format.

JH