Copy/Paste Formatting

I may have missed it since I’m just playing around with the free trial version (love it so far!), but I can’t seem to find a way to copy/paste formatting in Scapple. As a workaround, I have to copy/paste a note then erase the content and retype in order to keep the same formatting. This seems silly.

There are three different approaches you can take, depending upon how often a particular look might be used:

• For something used often:
    1. Open the Inspector sidebar and expand the “Note Styles” section.
    2. Drag and drop the already formatted note onto the ‘default’ label at the top, to create a new style from it.
    3. Give it a name, and set what kinds of formatting it will influence, in the subsequent dialogue.
    4. To use it, just drag it out of the style pane and onto the spot where the new note should be.
  • For smaller here & there instances where all of that might be too much overhead: the pair of Format ▸ Note Style ▸ Copy Note Style and Paste Note Style menu commands are what you are looking for, precisely. Learning the keyboard shortcuts will be the most efficient, if you do this more often.
  • The last is a natural function of a setting that is on by default, Use selected note style for new notes, in the General tab. This however is a bit more situational as it only works when stacking (Ctrl+Enter / ⌘Return) or when creating a new connected note, either via the menu commands or double-clicking while holding down one of the modifier keys described in §4.2.1 of the user manual PDF. Simple double-clicking won’t use that setting as the first click deselects the original.
1 Like

This is exactly what I needed! Thanks so much for your help!

Vivian

1 Like