Copy Text & URL

This weekend I was bustling about in Applescript and noticed that Automator now has a Get URL from Safari module. I remembered that there have been multiple requests on the forum for something like this so I built an Automator Service that will grab the current text selection in the Safari window, append the url of the page to it and put both up on the clipboard.

Qualifications
This only will copy text
This only works with Safari
This probably only works in Snow Leopard because it uses new Automator features

Download the attached zip file, double-click it, and drag the resulting Text and URL to Clipboard.workflow file to [your home folder]/Library/Services

Happy New Year

Dave
Text_And_URL_To_Clipboard.zip (108 KB)

Thanks so much for doing this. However, when I double click the zipped file, it produces another zipped file called TextAndURLToClipboard.zip.cpgz. When I double click that one, it produces another TextAndURLToClipboard.zip. Neither is the workflow you mentioned. Can you fix?

Somehow the forum software munged the zip file. I’ve put a new version in the original post that downloads correctly, now.

Dave

Ooh, I love new words! “Munged.” Will have to remember that one.
Service works a treat now. What I’d really love is a two step option (1. select and 2. single keyboard shortcut) that would let me grab text and URL from a webpage or email or whatever and automatically drop both on a TextEdit or Bean file. But this is certainly almost as quick, and very helpful to those of us who hunt and gather on the web. Thanks again!

You can assign your own keyboard shortcut to the service in System Preferences/Keyboard.

Dave

… and so I shall! Already have them for clipping to Bean, Scrivener, and TextEdit. They just don’t include the URL. Some people are never satisfied…
thanks again.

Ah Dave, the perils of software development.
Users!! :laughing:

E
gedit
Kate
Leafpad
Mousepad
Notepad
SimpleText
TextEdit
XEDIT
Acme
AkelPad
Bluefish
Caditor
Crimson Editor
Geany
gedit
J
jEdit
JOVE
JuffEd
Kate
Kedit
Kile
KWrite
Leafpad
Leo
mcedit
Metapad
MicroEMACS
NEdit
Notepad++
Notepad2
Pe
Programmer’s Notepad
RText
Sam
SciTE
Scribes
Smultron
TeXnicCenter
The Hessling Editor
UniRed
X11 Xedit
Yudit
[edit]Freeware
Arachnophilia
BBEdit Lite
ConTEXT
Eddie
GX Text
Komodo Edit
LEd
Notepad+
NoteTab Light
Programmer’s File Editor
PSPad editor
RJ TextEd
q10
TED Notepad
TeXShop
TextWrangler
edit
HTML Kit
[edit]ProprietaryAlphatk
BBEdit
CodeWright
GoldED
CygnusEd
E Text Editor
EditPlus
EmEditor
Epsilon
GWD Text Editor
Inlage LaTeX Editor
Kedit
MED
NoteTab
PolyEdit
skEdit
SlickEdit
Source Insight
SubEthaEdit
Tex-Edit Plus
TextMate
TextPad and Wildedit
The SemWare Editor
TopStyle
UltraEdit
Ulysses
VEDIT
WinEdt

Dave

Actually, what would be even faster would be a little service that allowed me to just THINK what text I wanted moved from web page to whatever text editor or other app I could imagine and it would just happen automagically. No more messing with those pesky menu or keyboard commands. I’m sure it wouldn’t take very long to to code … Then you could work on one that would let me think of the basic idea for my next novel and have the words automatically appear in Scrivener, properly formatted of course. I’ll be happy to beta test!

It’s back in the labs, I think. Unfortunately, it’ll be a while: they can’t get it to output anything other than the same sex scenes and GTD lists over and over. . . .

Dave