Could we have an icon or indicator that shows the current status of Typewriter Scrolling?

It would be nice to be able to check with a glance whether Typewriter Scrolling is turned on or not. Just something like a ‘T’ in the status bar down the bottom?

Otherwise, in order to check I need to remember where to look in the menu structure and then grab the mouse and find it, just to see if it is on or not.

Hi.
There is an icon.

2 Likes

It’s not part of the default set, but there’s an optional Typewriter Scrolling icon for the Toolbar (View → Customize Toolbar). It shows a checkmark and turns color if enabled.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I never would have known about it otherwise.

Not to be patronizing in any way.
But one thing that is good to do if you are not too fond of reading through the 700+ pages of the manual, is to at least take some time and go through all the menus. Click and investigate them all somewhat a little.
(Use the tutorial project, don’t be afraid to mess the hell out of it, you can always spawn a fresh new one.)
Even without the how, knowing what the software can do can only be a plus.

Things you might not even think of asking about on the forum otherwise, and that can greatly influence the way you go about your project(s).

3 Likes

I find stuff like this all the time. I’m one of those people who say, “I wonder what happens if I touch this button?” (But I also like manuals.)

I even found something awesome by accident one day. I had two related projects open and looked away; I must have accidentally did something while distracted because when I looked back at my Scrivener, both projects were in the same window! I found the Windows----> Merge all Windows menu option.

Yeah good point. I did go through the whole tutorial but I guess I could have searched around a bit more myself.

Perhaps. But that’s not what I meant.
What I meant is that by your comment I quoted, it seemed to me that you haven’t investigated the menus ; and you are likely missing on the extras. Is all.