Crashing from Backup

I am opening a couple of Projects that have not been opened since 2021 when I updated them from their original versions to Scrivener 3. Both Projects crash. I tried opening the original backup but it also crashes after trying to convert them to the Scrivener 3. Any help is appreciated!

Steps to reproduce:
Open Backup of Project. Click OK to convert to Scrivener 3. After notice about the new version, Scrivener crashes. If i try to open the new Project that has been converted, it also crashes.

Product: Scrivener (Version: 3.0.1.0 (1274136) 64-bit - 28 Apr 2021)
Platform: Windows (Windows 10 Home. Version 22H2. OS Build 19045.2604.)

Are your Windows backups in .ZIP folders? If so, unzip the content first. Then work with the unzipped content.

No, they aren’t zipped.

Do you have other projects that don’t crash? Trying to determine if this is isolated to just these two.

What happens when you try to open the Interactive Tutorial project (Help > Interactive Tutorial) - does it crash?

Best,
Jim

I see your Scrivener version is outdated. Latest version is 3.1.4.0 for Windows.
If the app works, run an update from the Scrivener Help menu. If it doesn’t, download the latest version from the L&L website.
It may help.

1 Like

I tried to run an update but that crashed too so I’ll download it directly to see if that helps.

So far, it just seem to be those 2 projects. The Interactive Tutorial opened fine.

Ahh it worked! Guess I should have made sure I had the latest version. Thanks for your help!

3 Likes