Creating an alias for a Scrivener document

Because all my Scrivener documents on my Mac are in a specific folder that syncs with Dropbox, I would like to create an alias for a document so that the alias can be in the folder I use for a particular project. (I want to be able to open the document directly from that folder without having to go to the specific Scrivener folder that syncs with Dropbox.) However, when I try to create the alias, I get a message that says “Item ‘DocumentTitle.scriv alias’ is used by macOS and can’t be opened” when I try to open it. I know it’s possible to do this because I’ve done it before, just don’t know what the problem is now. Any ideas? TIA!

  1. You could instead just try using Scrivener’s Favorites menu to give you ready access to the project. Probably simpler than using a Finder alias.

  2. Not sure what the trouble you are running into could be. It sounds like you are creating the alias “in place”, let’s try not doing that. Use command-option-drag to create a new alias of your Scrivener project and drop it some place safe (outside your Dropbox ƒ) like your Desktop. Try opening the project from that alias.

1 Like