Customise Command Sequences?

Is it possible to customise the command key sequences somehow? I’d kind of like to change some so that it’s more consistent with the other apps I use. eg. goto bookends to be cmd-Y not shift-cmd-Y, and highlight to be cntr-cmd-H not shift-cmd-H (if I’ve got them right).

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, absolutely! In fact, you can change the command keys of most OS X applications. Go to your System Preferences and choose “Keyboard and Mouse” and select the “Keyboard Shortcuts” pane. Then click on the “+” button at the bottom, choose Scrivener as the application and then enter the exact title of the menu item whose shortcut you wish to change (e.g. “Bibliography/Citations…”). Then click into the shortcut text field and type the command you want (e.g. hit command-Y). Click “Add” (or “OK” or whatever the button is called) and you’re done.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Excellent - thats great. Though now I think I’m going to be going crazy with all the command keys…

I think the answer to this might be no, but is there a way to allocate short-cut keys to styles? I have a number of styles that I change between regularly, and would love to be able to setup short cut keys for these. This way I would have the same short-cut keys for the same styles that I use in Mellel and stop me needing to go to the ruler to select all the time.

Thanks, Taman

Sorry - was being dumb. I tried it before posting and it didn’t seem to work. But it does as per previous explanation. Super!

Bit of a follow-on question… I’m trying to setup a short-cut for View-Open in-Editor. Problem is that there are two “Editor” menu options. When I assign a short-cut to Editor the short-cut appears beside both the “Editor” menu options. But when I press the shortcut nothing seems to happen - I’m assuming it doesn’t know which editor to go to.

Best, Taman

Hi,

Yes, I don’t think there’s any way around that, I’m afraid. If two menu commands have the same name then you can’t assign keyboard shortcuts via system preferences. I have renamed these items for version 2.0, though, so that they should be unique.

All the best,
Keith