Customized Keyboard Shortcuts

Good morning.
My language (Friulian) provide many accented letters (eg ê). It would be nice if on Scrivener there was the possibility to create keyboard shortkeys (like ALT+e=ê or string ALT+L=“example”). Now I do it on Windows with AutoHotKey, but thinking of switching to the Mac, it would be great if it was a function included in the program.
Thank you.

p.s. Fantastic program!

Afternoon.

macOS already has what you need built in at a system level:

osxdaily.com/2017/03/22/type-accents-mac-easy/

Super simple and super productive.

Slàinte mhòr.

Very good!
Thank you!

Tapadh leat, JoRo, ach tha mi a’ cleachadh Windows (thanks, but I use Windows :wink:

I could use – I think – the alt+ number code for accents, but that is awfully clumsy.

slàinte mhath!

If your keyboard doesn’t have conventions for accented characters built into it, then you need to enable a so-called “International” keyboard that enables AltGr, or the Alt key to the right of the spacebar. Input is similarly intuitive as on the Mac, though the precise key layout is a bit different. You’ll want to look up what to use depending on your keyboard input methods.

Thanks, Amberv – I tried that, but the whole keyboard changed, and it’s tough to re-program my own habits developed and ingrained over years and years of typing (has to do with old dogs and new tricks :wink: … BUT to answer my own question – though not a definitive answer – in playing around with another piece of software, I’ve been able to program macro keys that I can use outside of ms Word (which was where I was able to trigger these fonts before) … to get the accented letters – for example, à, À & etc. – it takes four key strokes and there might be a better way to do it, but for now, it might work.

That’s too bad that it changes the whole layout as well. Well, a macro is certainly better than memorising the ASCII table and using the numkeys. :slight_smile: I wonder if maybe using Scrivener’s Substitutions feature, in the Corrections settings area, might help as well? You could put in an abbreviation like: `e that gets turned into è, for example. In my testing that works within words.