David hewsons Book on Writing

I bought this from amazon and now have a Kobo reader was hoping to be able to read on that, but it is a Kindle copy and I have that app on my laptop, I tried to convert to an epub but it will not let me, its so frustrating when you have bought a ebook and it is limited to only one type of format. :frowning:

My suggestion: sign up to use the free Kindle Cloud Reader
read.amazon.com/‎
You use that through a web browser and may highlight, make notes, etc.

As for converting Kindle files to Kobo, that may be difficult
But the free open source app, Calibre, may let you create a version
That the Kobo can read in a format like html or rtf.
calibre-ebook.com/

Sorry that you had to wait so long for an answer.
Gentle hint: make sure your subject title says exactly what you’re after:
“Need help with Kindle-Kobo problem” would have brought quicker results.
(I greatly respect Mr. Hewson’s book but needn’t comment on it.)
Good luck, and thanks to Vic for his steerage. Moo. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: in the off-chance that he does not approve of converting the format, I would suggest you ask him about it. He’s probably fine with it, but I don’t want to sit here and tell you to do something he wouldn’t be happy with—so consider the following general information, rather than specific advice. :slight_smile:

Calibre can convert Mobi files to ePub files, and a bunch of other formats as well. The main factor in this is whether or not the original book is encryption locked to your Amazon/Sony/Apple/Barnes&Noble/Kobo/Etc. account. If it is, then you’re on your own, but if the content is open you should be able to make an ePub with a high level of quality in the conversion, and then just plug your Kobo in. Calibre will recognise the device and you can upload it straight from your catalogue. I can’t recommend Calibre enough if you own a lot of e-books. It makes organising your device a snap, and helps you manage all of the many books you may not have on the device at once.

Hi thank you for your replies, I have a work around now I bought the ipad air so can view it on the kindle app on that. I tried to convert but it is protected and will not allow me to do that even on Calibre. I suppose that is the issue when you buy ebooks, you are offered one format only. I review books for publishers and when they send me the ebook that will come in either epub, Mobi or a pdf, I use adobe editions to put them in and then I can send to up to five devices. So in the end rather then rattle with devices :smiley: I now use the ipad. I keep my little Kobo for night time reading as it is really light.
Thank you again for your help and I will make sure to be clear in future when I post a help plea :smiley:

I really like my little Kobo as well. I have the small pocket-size one, which literally can fit in a in a pocket.

I have the small one too, it was on special offer when they were competing with the Nook one for market position earlier this year, it only cost ÂŁ25 and its brilliant, I made a small oil cloth case for it, and take it everywhere. :smiley: