delete inline notation

How do I delete an inline notation?

Regards,
Bill Antonacchio

Highlight it and press Delete! Or if you highlight it and choose “Insert Annotation” again, it’ll become normal text.

Mark

Yes, annotations are just like normal text (you can even almost think of them as being like bold or italic), so there is nothing special about deleting them.

In the next version of Scrivener (currently in public beta), we’ve added a special command: Edit ▸ Select ▸ Select Annotation, which you can add a keyboard shortcut to. This command will more easily select the entirety of the inline annotation (or footnote; the command alters depending on context) that the cursor is within, so you can then follow it up with a quick backspace or, as noted above, the shortcut to toggle the formatting off and turn it into normal text.

Well then I guess it isn’t an in-line annotation that I’m trying to delete. When I highlight and delete it the rectangular border moves down to the next line of text which is part of the document and not a footnote or annotation or anything other than plain text.

That is the reason for my question initially. I don’t know what I used to create the block of text in the rectangle, but I sure would like to get rid of it. I was just using it as a note to myself to add additional narrative.

Any suggestions?

It might be useful to post a simple screenshot of what it is you are looking at on your screen. There are a few different things that might be described as a “rectangular border”, but I’m not sure off of the top of my head which of those might act the way you are describing.

Two things, firstly I exported the entire chapter to an RTF file and then opened the file in a word processor. I then deleted the offending INLINE ANNOTATION and selected the chapter text and pasted it back into the manuscript. All is now well.

Secondly, I opened a copy of the tutorial that was a learning tool for me. I added an INLINE ANNOTATION and wonder of wonders it has a RECTANGLE BOX around it. I guess my version is the only one to do so but this unique feature should be added to Scrivener so everyone can recognize an INLINE ANNOTATION easily.

Any way, my diagnoses of the initial problem of not being able to DELETE the INLINE ANNOTATION is because of a corruption in this chapter file which would not remove the annotation either from deleting the annotation nor using the insert annotation again.

Thanks for the the responses.

Regards,
Bill Antonacchio

That’s strange! Inline annotations should be using a bubble shape rather than a square rectangular shape. In fact, here is an example from the tutorial:

[size=80]The red highlighted rectangular box at the start of the line is a style (see below), and the red outlined bubble is an inline annotation.[/size]

We would expect to the see a rectangle around one of these things:

• A linked comment or footnote (where the content of the note is in the inspector rather than the editor). Selecting and deleting the highlighted text in the editor would delete both the text and the note.
  • A style that has had an optional setting to draw a background highlight box around the styled text. Deleting this should simply delete the styled text (and any boxes). One exception might be if it is a paragraph style and only the text was deleted, not the full paragraph. But in doing so, you would end up with a thing border under the cursor which would expand to a rectangle once you start typing again—it wouldn’t move to the next line.
  • Preserve Formatting, which is a special way of protecting all formatting attributes from the compiler. These look and act just like styles do, but will always be blue instead of customisable.
  • Tables, and in particular single-cell tables, such as those used in the tutorial where we have call-out boxes. Those are a little more difficult to delete on account of being tables. Most text deletion methods will merely operate within the table cell. Nothing would cause a table to reassign itself into any following text though.

So that’s what uses square rectangles in Scrivener. None of those would move. So either you’ve found a bug of some sort, or I’m still not really following what you mean.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, but it’s still quite mystifying. Inline annotations are a feature somewhat unique to Scrivener—certainly they are not a feature of RTF, and most word processors only support sidebar style comments rather than inline notation. So whatever it was, it probably wasn’t an inline annotation if you could see it in a word processor. The way those typically export (if they export at all, default compile settings are to strip them out) is as coloured text with square [brackets] around them.

Sorry Amber, I am not up on my Scrivener terminology. Yes it was a bubble shape. If I’d known it to: be a bubble shape I would have called it a bubble shape, it looks like a rectangle with rounded corners to me that’s why I said rectangle!

The interesting part is when I deleted the text, the bubble shape moved down to the next line of text. That was the reason for my initial query and what I solved by the procedure I mentioned above. Thanks for your explanation and I am happy to say all is well and learned a little more about Scrivener.

Regards,
Bill Antonacchio

No worries at all, I’m only being persistent with definitions and pedantic about it, because what you describe is not how any of these features should work (regardless of their shape). Nothing should ever move beneath text edits—that would be like selecting a bold phrase, deleting it, and having the bits of text following the phrase suddenly become bold. Yikes.

So with that in mind, it’s a bug that really should be fixed. If you can figure out how to make it happen repeatedly, let us know!