[DESIGN FLAW / BUG REPORT] Styles don't stick

I opened a project using the Screenplay template, and then after other things, duplicated a page based on the “scene” page in the template, and tried to create a new type of title and subtitle style for this document, because I wasn’t actually wanting to write a screenplay per se, it was simply a template with a structure and other content good enough for a starting point but which I could modify as I go along …

… now, I wrote some text, I chose a style, it wasn’t quite right, so I modified the font settings, saved it as a new style, and was thinking that should be the end of it, but no, while it did change the text and create my new style in the styles list, it doesn’t actually register that line as being made of that style … and no matter how many times I select the entire line and change it to that style again, I can never get the styles window to display that style name while the text is selected or the cursor is within that text that was otherwise changed to that new style.

Something is seriously wrong here, it shouldn’t matter which template I am using, nor should it matter which page I duplicate to work with, if I create a style and set something to that style, it should display that style name whenever the text is selected or the cursor is within that area of text … it shouldn’t even matter which text editing software I am using, this should be a universal rule across all text editing software that has a styling capability.

What does it say in the style’s dropdown of your formatting toolbar ?

1 Like

It always just goes back to “no style” … I have used a different page type and duplicated that to make a generic template page within the project template … but it seems to me this must be something to do with settings that we cannot see about some page types from some project template types, whereby, it is more than just setting a style, but also perhaps setting some kind of rules on that page type, which somehow prevents the styles from working as they would in any other page type.

Just guessing, but it seems like a logical possibility for a cause …

So, the other page type I am using works fine, just not the prebuilt “scene” page type from that project template … there’s something about it which stops style changes from sticking.

Is its icon yellow ?
That would mean that it is in scriptwriting mode. (Ctrl+8)

And it matches your description. (Not a bug if so.)

There are styles in scriptwriting mode too, but it is a different system. And they are called “elements”, with automations as regard to in which order/sequence they come into play.

The indicator/selector in this case is at the bottom right of the editor.
The Styles selector (Formatting bar) will indeed stick to “No style”.

3 Likes

Well, if a page has such rules applied to it, would it not be a better design to place all those things from the bottom right corner, where honestly my eyes are rarely looking given that all the other tools are at the top or left, and typically speaking in terms of programming metaphors, one would expect this area bottom right to be some kind of status or alert area, NOT an area for selecting functionality or seeing something like an applied style … so if the applied styles are effectively out of action, they should at least be greyed out and unable to be selected when in this mode OR BETTER YET if the styles area get’s swapped out for those scriptwriting styles, or the styles listed in the styles area get swapped out for the styles of the scriptwriting mode …

I think this is especially true in terms of good design, in the sense of doing what the eyes expect to see and the mind expects to encounter, while also making better use of screen real estate … because if the normal styling is unavailable in this mode, then it makes no sense to waste that area on functionality I cannot use, and to place the thing I should be looking at instead, in an area I am not looking …

One of the ways people can learn new software quickly is if the interface is designed to do the thing that doesn’t require the user to go off and read any documentation, because the answer is always right in front of their face, so it becomes extremely intuitive … I don’t think this design fills that criteria

It may help to know that the Script functionality in Scrivener predates the Style functionality by a pretty good number of years. So it already had that space in the interface “reserved,” so to speak.

At the same time, the Style functionality is in the formatting toolbar in dozens of other applications, so putting it anywhere else would be very likely to confuse people. And of course putting it in a different place in Script documents would be even more confusing.

3 Likes

Yes but my point was more so, is there any reason they cannot be merged? They both deserve the same location, and it is where I would always look for that kind of thing