Disable Scratchpad Alphabetic Sorting

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there was a way to stop the scratchpad from sorting my notes alphabetically?

Thanks in advance.

May I ask why you use the scratchpad? Because of the floating window? If so, that also works with the normal project window.

Both because of the floating window as well as being able to collect specific notes for a project or paper and have them ready to hand as I write. But I’d prefer it if the notes in the scratchpad weren’t sorted alphabetically, so I could move them around depending on what’s most useful/relevant at the given time.

Not sure about the normal project window. How do I make this float? Also, I really like that the Scratchpad organises my notes in a separate tab

Ok, that was exactly my thinking before I discovered the float function… one second, I need to look something…

If you want to organize your notes in a separate window, consider having a separate note project that is always open. This is a normal Scrivener project that you can position as a small window on one edge of your Screen, just like the Scratchpad. The float function can be activated via the “Window” menu. I use Scrivener in German, so I don’t know what the menu item is called in English. It is right under “Layouts”. So you have a “scratchpad” with all the features Scrivener offers.

Have a look here

1 Like

Thank you, this seems super useful! But can you get it to float on top of a full screen window?

I was also wondering if it’s possible to decrease the size of the floating window, this seems to be limited by default (the Scratchpad window size is smaller)?

You can hide the binder, then the window is smaller … and show the binder again if needed.
cmd + opt + b

1 Like

thanks a lot this definitely helps!

no ways to float it atop a full screen window? In the screenshot you’ve posted it’s not clear whether the window underlying the floating one is in full screen or not. I guess split screen view on Mac would be an option, though it is no longer a floating window.

In the screenshot the window is maximized (not full screen). The Scrivener window can be made even smaller, also by hiding the binder. It’s enough for me. Do you need it even smaller?

I often use full screen (e.g. when writing in MS Word), so this is why I was asking. But I think I can manage without it, given the functionality of the floating Scrivener window

Ok :+1:

(And I have to type a few more meaningless characters here, because that’s what’s required :grinning:)

1 Like

Thanks for this once again!

For a floating “notepad,” you might prefer to use a Quick Reference pane instead of the full Scrivener window.

1 Like

Sorry, is that when I press spacebar on a document?
But you can’t mean that, because it’s not floating.