Check box for "floating Project Window"

The “floating Project Window” is superior to the “floating Scratchpad” in every aspect. This has long been known.

So I created a layout (I call it Mini) at the top right of the screen that floats (if I want) in which I can create notes.

I find it especially useful (for research) that I can drag highlighted text from the browser into the binder and Scrivener creates a new note right there.

The only problem I had: I never knew if the Project Window was floating or not. As far as I know Scrivener itself doesn’t show any indication for this.

Because I often switch between different layouts that should not all float, I used Keyboard Maestro to create a (floating) visual indicator with a check box.

Now I can now toggle the floating function (with a shortcut or a click) and see the status in the check box. For me this is a big advantage.

Maybe this is useful for someone who also uses Keyboard Maestro.

1 Like

How do you control whether it floats or not?

Not sure what you mean. Me with a shortcut or a click on the blue palette. the Project Window floats when the box ist checked. And the box is checked, when the menu item in Scrivener is checked.

Scrivener: Menu → Window → Float Window. There is no shortcut.

Does that answer your question?

This answers it. Yes.

The point is: I don’t see the menu. But I see the blue box. So I always know the status of the window :slight_smile:

What is the “Mini” layout, if I may ask?

You already said you used Keyboard Maestro. The question was how.

You may ask anything :slight_smile:

“Mini” is the name I gave to this layout in Scrivener.

Menu → Window → Layouts

It’s a small floating Scrivener window in the upper right corner that I use when I’m researching and copying information from the browser to Scrivener.

I have set up a macro in Keyboard Maestro that activates/deactivates the Scrivener function “Float Window” and shows this status in a blue box.

I knew all that (as soon as you said Keyboard Maestro), all but the menu command. It could have been something more complicated, like an AppleScript. But now I’m wondering how the macro knows what the status is at a given point in time … maybe by remembering it in a variable from the last time you clicked the icon?

No variable. Much simpler. If you’re interested, I’ll post the macro tomorrow. But now I have to sleep. Where I live it is now after midnight :slight_smile:

Thank you. I have just been using the default. I have been using Scrivener since 2017 but I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of its potential. Learning new things all the time on these forums.

Yes, I’m interested!

I know. The macro group must be set up as a palette. The names of the menu items are in German here. But in KM it looks like this.

1 Like

Thanks! That gives me ideas for Keyboard Maestro in general, even if I never use it for this particular purpose.

You’re welcome! I can’t imagine using Scrivener without KM and BTT anymore :slight_smile:

I use Karabiner for just ONE thing I couldn’t do in KM, to change caps_lock into delete_forward. What does BTT do for you?

Well, BTT cannot create macros as complex as KM. But BTT can do other things much better than any app I know.

1. BTT can distinguish between left and right modifiers. So “Commad + a” triggers different macros/actions depending on which command key I use.

2. BTT has so called “Key Sequences”. This is not only a very powerful text expander. I can also double tab a modifier and assign an action. Or tab Command + Option to fire an action. Or whatever I want.

3. BTT provides very powerful gestures for the trackpad. With a 2, 3 or 4 finger click/tab or swipe in all directions I can assign actions.

4. BTT offers extensive configuration of the touch bar and menu bar.

1 Like

Ok, I am curious. What is BTT?

To tell you that, I would have to take a vacation :slight_smile: Or you just have a look here.

https://folivora.ai

1 Like