Drawing tablet compatible

I am very old school when it comes to new ideas and I do better writting down instead of typing it.

I would really like a feature that allows you to use something like a Wacom Tablet to manually write down ideas and stories. Then during or after writing it converts it to text (almost like microsoft word).

Just a thought.

I don’t think it’s old fashioned to want to sketch the bones of a story. Here are some suggestions - not that any of them do handwriting recognition.

Scapple literatureandlatte.com/scapple.php

iThoughtsX (Mac) and iThoughts/iThoughtsHD (iOS) toketaware.com/ithoughts-osx

Aeon Timeline scribblecode.com

I did not have any of these, or Scrivener, when I started out with my script, which has 3 main story threads. I actually had to use Excel to arrange the scenes!

Thank you so much. These links look amazing. I’ll go take a look and see what works best for me. :slight_smile:

By the way. These are all very useful tools. But, correct me if i’m wrong, but none of them seem to allow me to manually write down my thoughts and idea with my bamboo writing tablet.

As I said, these apps don’t recognize handwriting on their own. But Mac and Windows OS both have built in handwriting recognition. Wondering if that would work in conjunction with the right app.

I’m reluctant to rain on the OP’s parade, but…

… I’d be amazed if Scrivener were to incorporate handwriting recognition in the near future. These people look to be leaders in “consumer” handwriting recognition technology. As a relatively slow typist who tends to think best with a pencil in my hand, I’ve been trialling their products for years. I’ve come to the conclusion that handwriting recognition, whilst impressive, is a technology that is still to be perfected (to a greater degree than, say, voice recognition, which in recent years has made terrific advances in accuracy, speed and convenience). At least, handwriting recognition technology still has great difficulties with my handwriting, to an extent that human beings don’t. Now, if I want to avoid typing, I write out my words by hand, and dictate to the computer.

So maybe one day, but not yet. Scrivener 7?

I tried the Mac built in speech recognition:

• turn it on in System Preferences -> Dictation & Speech; note the shortcut key, Fn Fn by default, but you can change it.
  • fired up Scapple, drew a note with right hand and mouse, hit Fn Fn with left hand, spoke and successfully labelled the note by voice.

See mac.appstorm.net/reviews/os-x-re … mavericks/

So this may be an alternative for the keyboard averse. Sorry I can’t speak to Windows :slight_smile:

Scrivener isn’t currently geared up for hand written notes as a layer atop text.
In my own work I use comments quite heavily, being able to scrawl (rather than type) notes on the laptop with a xp-pen ( xp-pen.com ) drawing tablet and have those same hand written comments linked to the text and visible on the desktop would suit me down to the ground, even if the scrawl-note (I’m making up terms here) is just an inline / nested image.