Dropbox Sync Questions: Question 1

Two things that are bothering and confusing me with dropbox syncing: Maybe I should separate them into two posts

Question 1. I’ve had this issue several times: After working for several days to a week on my ipad scrivener, backing up and syncing every time, adding new sections, folders, etc I open up my file on my iphone, and sync it, and when I open it, I get a message about conflicts and it asks me if I want to open it anyways. I do, because the only other choice is not to open it.

What I see though is a long list of conflicts, in which the contents of many of the new sections I’ve been working on for the past week are to be found.

When I look in the actual sections that I created on the ipad, they are content empty. so I have to go through each one and try to figure out which content goes in which folder, copy paste etc.

Can someone tell me what exactly I am doing wrong here so I don’t continue doing it?

And why the heck can’t the conflicts at the very least retain the title of the section they were originally in, AND not disappear from that section? It gets very confusing if you have been creating a lot of sections.

Thanks, Jay

I have to say right now this issue is really driving me crazy

I don’t know if the system was intended to be able to sync between an iphone and an ipad, but that’s where the problem seems to lie.

I’ve gone back and forth several times between the two trying to get 10 or so new files and a new folder to line up with each other.
I had to rename all of them three times, recreate the folder and put them back in it three times.

Every time I went back and forth between my iphone and my ipad, either one or both will give me the message that conflicts are there and make me either not open it or say “dropbox is synced,” in which case it creates a whole new folder of conflicted documents.

By now I’ve got the folders lined up and they are all finally agreeing with each other, but it took half an hour of work, doing the same things over and over.

Please, tell me, at least if this is a bug that you are planning/hoping/intending to fix, or am I doing something wrong or in the wrong order?

Are you closing the project on the iPad before opening it on the iPhone, and vice versa? Backing out of the project to the Project view, syncing, and then closing the app, or how are you doing your “backing up and syncing”?

I always sync, but I don’t close the app.

I have it set to auto-sync every time I back out of a project.

Should I be closing the app too ?

I tested closing out the app each time and by Jove, it seems to work!

Thanks!

Different problems: desperate for help! I’m stuck syncing with dropbox at ‘Syncing 516 of 671 files.’ Just won’t move. I’ve tried taking everything other than scrivener and apps folder out of dropbox, putting the scrivener projects in and letting it sync. It’s the only job dropbox has to do, sync with scrivener. But just stuck. So all syncing across devices is frozen. Aargh! Any assistance so so appreciated.

When it stops it’s usually because it’s copying a large file. If waiting doesn’t help, tap Cancel and restart the sync. Sometimes you need to do that several times.

Thanks. I’ve tried that. Now it’s stuck at 2 in 165 files. So frustrating. Do I just need to keep cancelling and starting? (I let it overnight with no change!)

I’ve taken everything but scrivener out of dropbox. I unlinked the dropbox from the iOS and then linked again. It’s now trying to sync. syncing now 526 of 1443 files and slowing down. I expect a freeze any second!

629 of 1443 - come on - you can do it!

Maybe I’ve a corrupted file in one of the projects. Not sure I’d find it if so. There are three projects. Two large and one medium. (756 of 1443, still creeping on!)

If you move everything out and then back, Scrivener will have to start from scratch and resync everything!

You probably have some fairly big file that takes time to sync, and that is complicating things.

It also depends on the speed of your WiFi.

Appreciate your reply. Thanks. Yes. wi-fi incredible slow. Really need to increase it. No idea. ISP give the usual anodyne advice about moving the router etc.

Now stuck at 2 of 404 files. Wow this is frustrating.

But, thanks so much for your support. Good to text with someone who knows what they’re talking about.

It sounds as if it is one particular file that is creating the problem. If you cancel and look at what has synced you will see which projects are not vausing problems. Remove the others from the sync folder and finish syncing. Then move them back, one by one until you find which one is causing the delay. Open it on your desktop and check if there is some large image or pdf or such that might be slowing things down.

And by the way, you don’t have to have all your Scriv projects in the sync folder. Only the ones you currently want to work with on all devices.

I’m going to start again. I work on four scrivener projects. I’m taking them all out of the dropbox scrivener folder. Now, where do I put them back to? In the apps folder? Or the scrivener folder? Do I sync them? Aaaargh.

OK. Stay calm. Putting them one by one in the dropbox/app/scriv folder. Project 1 gone in fine and synced up.

Project 2. Slow, but getting there. (Moved my router to a different , hopefully more connected phone socket. Started wifi.) 133 of 134 files synced. Come on! Frozen now for 1 min. Is this the problem project? There are photo collages in it. Perhaps it’s just size?

14:49. Still frozen. Going to cancel and retry.
14:50. 2 of 3 syncing. Frozen. Deleting it. Try another.
14:54. Project 3 going into dropbox/app/scriv. Click sync in iOS
14:55. 124 of 257 and working. Done. Worked. Synced. Project 4 going in.
14:58. Clicked sync on iOS. 617 files to sync. So, big. 125, slowed down.

The story continues:
14:58. Clicked sync on iOS. 617 files to sync. So, big. 125, slowed down.
14:59. 196/617. Moving slowly. There are some image files in this project. And pdfs. And converted Word docs.
15:01. 280 gone in.
15:02. 307. Stopped.
15:04. Started again. 373. Stopped. (Talk about watched kettle etc!). Started again. Stopped at file 390. (Think I will put the kettle on. See which takes longer.)
15:10. Big mug of expresso instant. Come on. I’m ready. 507 of 617. Stuck. Cancel and resync.
15:11. 2 of 112. Frozen.

So, how on earth am I going to identify which one of the 617 files is jamming the sync?

No, wait, we’re grinding on! the snowplough has broken through. up to 14 of 112. 15 - come on, you can do it!

15:10. Big mug of expresso instant. Come on. I’m ready. 507 of 617. Stuck. Cancel and resync.
15:11. 2 of 112. Frozen.

So, how on earth am I going to identify which one of the 617 files is jamming the sync?

No, wait, we’re grinding on! the snowplough has broken through. up to 14 of 112. 15 - come on, you can do it!

15:13. 31 of 112 and creeping. I’ll take creeping over frozen. Frozen. At 31. Wait. Nothing. Resync.
15:15. Frozen.