Editing colors of user interface menu without using a theme?

I am partially blind, and need certain menus (like the dropdown/edit menus) to be white/light with black bold text, but the actual user interface to be more muted colors to not be so glaring when I am writing. I see no way to edit these color settings outside of using themes, which changes everything, and still disallows me to set specific tones with enough contrast to still see the text of menu items as I need. Is this possible in Scrivener 3 for Windows, or am I stuck with making the best of it using the themes to change colors for the user interface menus?

The colors of menus can only be changed using a Theme. Fortunately Pao has just recreated the default look of Scrivener’s UI as a Theme. Using that as a basis, the QSS Stylesheet, one of four files when your rename the scrtheme file and unzip it, has the classes that influence the menu colors. Some classes use colors named in the PAL palette file, so you might want to update that one too. But in practice you can use every RGBA color available directly inside the stylesheet.

2 Likes

Thank you for this info! I am familiar with editing style sheets, and will mess with the file to see how it works.

1 Like

Success! Added the link to Pao’s theme. When you have questions, let me know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Do you know what element should I change so as to alter the gray lines in this picture? image
Those 1px thick dividing lines between the toolbars and the menus?

I am also still trying to figure out what to edit. :frowning: I did what I knew to do, in adding specific colors in hex or rgba colors, and it changed nothing on the theme at all.

1 Like

The line between the Menu and the Toolbar:
QMenuBar {
border-bottom: 2px solid rgba(255,255,0,1);
}

At the bottom of the QSS file:

Border of the Toolbar:

QToolBar {
background-color: rgba(255,128,0,1);
border: 1px solid rgba(0,255,0,1);
}

Sorry, gottoget my nanowrimo word count.
There are still gray lines above and below the Toolbar (#4D4D4D or RGB 77 77 77) and vertical Separators or Borders of that same color.
If you can find those, let me know.
Maybe you’ll have to guess Elements and attributes… :crazy_face:

Tried some more after midnight, but can’t seem to reach the upper Toolbar to change its borders.
And
QToolbar::separator {
border: 1px solid rgba(0,255,0,1);
}
should work, but doesn’t.

I discovered the documentation for QSS at: Qt Style Sheets Reference, and also for the Qt Framework

1 Like