Ellipsis Change Font To Helvetica

First, I am very sorry to post another bug since I am sure there are plenty to fool with right now, and the iOS version has been working beautifully for me since purchase day one. There is only one little thing that is difficult. Whenever I type three dots ‘…’ to form an ellipsis, or use the ‘option-;’ command to type an ellipsis, whatever font I have been using in that document is automatically reset to something ugly and plain like Helvetica. I am not sure if that is the font, since I do not know how to look and see which font I am using in the iOS version, but that is what it looks like. It is a default font.

To be clear; all the text up to the point of typing the ellipsis remains as it was, but after typing an ellipsis all of the text which continues to be typed AFTER that point comes out as a default font. The ellipsis itself changes the font from what I had to the default, every single time.

The only way I can currently type an ellipsis and retain my current font is to type past the point where the punctuation is needed, then use the arrow keys to go back, and insert it where it needs to go. This is a bit clunky.

I don’t know if it matters, since I think it happens using even Times New Roman; I am using a custom font in many of my documents, which I have inserted as per instructions into a folder inside the Scrivener documents folder where I keep my documents in Dropbox. The fonts work fine, using custom fonts works fine, it’s just that the ellipsis changes the font of my document to the default font.

I have an iPhone 6 running iOS version 9.3.2.

Thank you for this wonderful program; I have been using it more than my desktop version!

That usually means the original font you’re using does not have an ellipses character available to it. When the text engine cannot find the glyph it needs, it switches to a font that can show it (as opposed to the approach where you get an “error”, or “missing symbol” glyph substituted—as you’ve probably seen in Word, etc.).

You can check which font you’re typing with by tapping on the format brush icon. The name and size of the current font will be printed there. I personally do not have any issues with Palatino (the default) or Times New Roman, but I can certainly find situations where the font switches to Helvetica (such as when using a wingding font).

To rule out any other vagaries, I’d start with a very simple text with a new empty file in the binder (default Palatino 14pt for testing purposes) then type in one word + ellipses + second word, and see if that works. If it does, then the problem in the file might be something we could see as well if we had the file to test with.