Ello' mates - My introduction

I do believe that it is time for this post… to begin, I am a tad shy when it comes to putting my writings out there. What writer isn’t, right? I suppose it could be nice, after all, to finally poke my nose out of the woodwork and meet some fellow writers. I used to think meeting other writers would distract me from my primary focuses of my own writings, however… after rethinking things a bit I think the upside outweighs the potential downside. The idea of meeting some quality writers and (hopefully) readers too is exciting and may help in my endeavors to be successful. Who knows, it might give me an edge.

I will avoid my actual name for now and may continue to avoid that for some time. Having a pseudo name as an author has a lot of appeal to me. Like I said, I’m a tad shy. Even if I do pop out the next Harry Potter series chances are I’m not going to want my face paraded all over. This is a bit of a catch-22 actually - it can be difficult to capture the hearts of your admiring fans without a glimpse of who you are and what you look like. Perhaps this could hurt me as an author? Or perhaps the heir of mystery will make it even more appealing… Who knows… before I write this introduction into widdershins, I digress.
I am in my mid 30s, work a professional full-time job that I plan to get away from in the next few years
(or sooner) to focus more on other passions and largely to spend more time with my family, I am a photographer, an artist, a musician and I enjoy fitness and financial wealth building, oh and my wife and I are planning to become real-estate investors soon. I love nature, hint of pine needles in the woods, crisp air in the mountains, light rays cutting through clouds and fog, the sound of ocean waves rolling onto the shore while staring off at the endless sea, sunsets, sunrises, space and, well, pretty much all things bright and beautiful in this life. Oh yes, and I absolutely love to write.

In college I aced my Eng I & II classes. I’m not sure if that means anything as a writer or not but I feel like it kind of applies.

So that’s me in a nutshell I guess. Now I’d like to get into the heart of what I write.

My main novel is already ridiculously long. It’s a work of fiction based in the distant future but also covers things in the distant past as well. I’ve already come up with enough plot to easily fill three books, if not more. I’ve written large portions of the first two books already. The experience I’m aiming for in these books is for things to be fun and enjoyable for my readers. I want to enjoy the experience. I want them to crave the next page like I have while reading good books. It’s taken me years to get what I have written and I kind of feel like it sometimes takes this long to really capture that essence in a good book. Especially for first time writers.

My other project is a children’s book that I’m writing with my wife. She’s doing the line artwork for it while I wrote the story and color it. The story is pretty much done with some minor tweaks to make here and there. It’s fairly creative, adventurous enough for a young child to enjoy and has a few learning/educational aspects within it that could be used in a school or for teaching. This book has come together fairly quickly and I hope to have it published by the end of the year if not sooner.

I’ve never had a book published and I can’t imagine what it’s like. I’m sure I have tons to learn and hope this community is the booster shot I need to take that next step towards success!

With all of this I say hello, nice to meet you all, have a great day and I wish you success!

And if you made it this far, thanks for taking the time!

2 Likes

Hey chompsky, I am Matt Mctavish.
Like you, I also take much interest in literature. I have read Arms and the Man by George Bernard Shaw and Loyalties by John Glasworthy.
Professionally, I am employed as a WordPress developer for Rank U Up which is a digital marketing agency in Kolkata.

I also take an interest in readding short stories, my favourites are O’Henry and Ruskin Bond