Email displayed incorrectly during compile

This is a compiling question…
My email displays correctly in my Front Matter. However, when the manuscript compiles, my email is missing a character in the title page. Namely, it omits the underscore character between my first and last name. Even when I try to edit it in MS Word, I can’t. It won’t display the underscore.

Is there a setting somewhere I need to edit to ensure it displays properly?

Thanks!

I just tested it and compiled to PDF and docx : no issue here.
The fact that you can’t fix it in Word either is likely revealing the real issue.

By underscore you mean Shift + the key to the right of 0, right ? ( _ )
I suppose that if, perhaps, you somehow use the wrong character, it could be one of those “special” characters that can’t be used in an email address. (?)
Perhaps try compiling after copy/pasting this one instead → _

Same here, everything looks fine with both RTF and DOCX on my end. I created a very simple test project to look at, which you can use to compare with your setup.

email_address_test.zip (81.7 KB)

I agree with the above, the fact that you can’t add the character back in Word is very perplexing, even more so than it being removed. My first step would be to create a new title page item in the binder and type it all back in by hand. Perhaps there is an invisible character in the original that is messing things up, and any kind of copy and paste would transfer the problem.

Or, if you have the aptitude, copy and paste the text into a coding editor that shows control characters in some fashion, and if you spot one, go to that spot in the Scrivener editor and backspace all the way through it, one character to the left and right of its position (you will noticed a “halt” while doing so, where the cursor doesn’t move after backspacing—that will be the invisible character being deleted.

Thanks Vincent_Vincent. Yes, it’s the Shift + the key to the right of 0.
I’ve used this particular email address for about 15 years and have never had an issue with any other medium - only Scrivener.
I did change the ( _ ) to (-) in my email address…and it worked!
But that’s the wrong email address :slight_smile: and when I changed it back…same problem.

You should try what @AmberV suggested :
Set the cursor at the end of the problematic email address, then navigate it backwards, one character at a time, using your keyboard’s left arrow.
If there is a place where the cursor skips a beat, won’t move — you have to hit the arrow twice —, that’s where your problem is. (An invisible character messing it up.)

Far fetched – but the only other thing I could see (and that doesn’t quite explain the issue being also present in Word) : is that you’d have some funky replacement going on in your compile format.
Try using the underscore character in something that’s just standard text ? Not an email. (?)

AmberV, first I created a brand new title page and hand typed everything fresh - same issue where the ( _ ) does not appear.
Then I used your test page - it worked!
Then I used your test page and added my address and phone number - the issue returned
Then I removed my address and phone number - it worked!
Then I added back my address one line at a time…and it worked.
Then I added the tag for word count <$wc100>…and it disappeared again.

So it doesn’t seem to be a character within the email itself…but something else on the page.

1 Like

And deleting <$wc100> doesn’t restore my email. I have to delete everything on the page and start again.