Empty line inserted at top of Page 1 after RTF compile

I’ve noticed that when I compile to RTF a Scrivener project that has text on the first line of the first file, there is an initial empty line inserted after compilation. This may be related to the fact that I don’t have a header on the first page, but do have one afterwards(?) It’s not a big deal, but it would be nice if there were a way to eliminate it.

Greg Shenaut

Not quite sure what you mean, could you elaborate?

Sure. I’m trying to simulate a different header for the title page from the rest of the text as part of a project to create an APA6 format template for Scrivener. So, in the compile panel, I’ve selected “Header”, “Not on page 1” and “Count page 1”. I’ve filled in a header for the reset of the document. Then in the first file of the document (“Title Page”), I have a line at the very top that says “Running head: MY RUNNING HEAD1”, and I’ve set a single tab stop just to the left of the right margin. It looks basically like a header. After I compile the draft to RTF, however, and open the result in some other reader, be it Textedit or Word, there is always an empty line at the top, before my simulated header line. Here’s a fragment of the RTF from the beginning of the output:


\f0\fs24 \cf0 \widowctrl \fet2 \ftnbj \titlepg\pgnrestart\pgnstarts1 {\header {\pard \ql {\f0 DRAFT APA6 MANUSCRIPT \par}}}

\cf0 Running head: APA6 TEMPLATE 1

I believe the empty line is due to the line with just a backslash immediately after the header definition, but I have no idea as to why it is there or whether it’s important. If I delete it in BBEdit and then re-open the RTF file, the extra line is gone and the simulated header is the first line.


Ah, right, I see what you mean now. It’s a result of the way Scrivener is hacking in the header information, unfortunately (as Scrivener uses the standard OS X exporters, which don’t support headers or footers out of the box, and is adding in certain RTF codes). It’s been fixed for version 2.0 - I have overhauled the RTF export (and import) for 2.0 so that it’s a lot better all round.

Thanks and all the best,