Empty lines in Synopsis in Corkboard

When I’m typing in the Synopsis if I hit Return I get a newline as expected. If I’m typing on the cork board, though, when I hit Return it ends my typing and deselects the index card (possibly selecting the parent container; not sure). Since I’m usually looking to put in a blank line, I usually hit return twice, which creates a new card when I’m on the cork board, which I have to erase.

I get that they’re different views of the same info and that the same key can do different things (though I’d really rather they worked the same). But I haven’t figured out a way to put in a newline while in cork board mode. I tried Shift-Return, Opt-Return, Ctrl-Return – non of them seem to do it. Is there a way? If not I’ll re-post this under the Wish List forum.

Thanks!

Option-Return should be working, but I’m wondering if perhaps there is some other problem going on here, because pressing Return should indeed by default end editing on the corkboard (which, incidentally can be changed in the Navigation preferences pane), but that shouldn’t be deselecting the item you were working on. The idea is that you can hit Return twice quickly to make a new card after the one you were just editing. But that potential problem aside, it just sounds to me as though you don’t prefer the default keyboarding system: might as well change those! :slight_smile:

You might consider reinstalling the application. It could be the interface files are damaged.

There’s a preference for everything, it seems. That did the trick – thanks!

Thanks, same problem, fixed in preferences. But, related–I keep trying to insert cursor down a line in index cards, no can do. I suppose this makes sense bec you can’t do it in editor either, if you don’t already have text or at least a hard return in the line where you want to insert the cursor. And in editor, this is a good idea bec you don’t want to end up with extra lines by accident. But this is no real concern in corkboard or the inspector versions of the cards. If possible, it would be great to have this ability… you can do this in powerpoint and in other blank-slate programs like OneNote, and it would be great to have this here. (I suppose other blank-slate options like timelines and draw (for maps) would be great too, now that I’m thinking of it.) I often think corkboard view is akin to slide sorter in PowerPoint…

The interior of an index card is not a “blank slate” in any sense. It is a simple plain-text field, not much more sophisticated than the title field, or the URL field in your web browser. This is by design, these things aren’t meant to be Scapple boards or rich text editors—just a concise description of the item.

I’m not familiar with the slide sorter in PowerPoint, but it sounds like you looking for the freeform corkboard (View/Corkboard Options/Freeform, or the toggle in the footer below the corkboard). And if you just want to be able to create a card anywhere with the mouse, go into your Corkboard preferences pane at the very bottom and change Double-clicking corkboard background to “Creates a new card”, or just make sure the freeform-only option below that is checked.

No, I wanted to be able to insert the cursor anywhere in the card. Say, I come back to a card a couple of days later, and want to add a bullet (bullet capability would be awesome, btw), with a line between it and previous bullet. Rather than having to bother with inserting my cursor at the end of the text and hit return, I’d love to be able to just insert it in the line/spot where I want it. I think these cards would work better as text boxes so we can stick the cursor anywhere we want. For ex, in OneNote, you can type anywhere on the page because it’s a giant text box (into which you can insert new image or text boxes), regardless of whether you have hard returns existing on that page.

Just a thought. I don’t think of these cards as linear things… So a text doc is a limited way to look at them.

I’m still not following what that means. How would the software know that you want a new bullet line if you put your cursor in the middle of another bullet line and start typing? Why shouldn’t that be interpreted as someone adding a word to a sentence, as it currently is? Would there then be no way to edit the text you’ve already written, since every keystroke will just assume you want a new line?

At any rate, what you are describing with complex OneNote style canvases is really what the Corkboard is for, as mentioned above. If you want a place to write anywhere and build complex ideas out of lots of components, that’s what the corkboard is for, not the index cards. Those are for the components. If one card needs a whole corkboard (lots of components) to describe it, that is why Scrivener lets you load that card up in the Corkboard and start building within it.

OK.

I’m not talking about corkboarding (the point of cb to me is to make everything visible at once, so I don’t get the whole stacking of cards within a scene, plus I don’t want to create a bunch of grouped scenes).

I think it’s that the visual lines on the index cards create an expectation that I can move my cursor to any of those lines lower down on a card and start typing. Does that make sense?

Index card header

Thread
-theft

Hitch
-Tom’s statement end previous chap that HE is not the known thief

Stitch
-scene where she steals cows. what manner of people are these?

Let’s say I only got the first two elements, thread and hitch, typed in. Got interrupted, and now I want to return the next day and type in Stitch, etc. I have to start after the f in thief, then hit return twice and then I can type Stitch. Okay. Lots of text files work this way. This reply window works that way. Maybe it’s the only way it can be done. Maybe it’s not worth the trouble to do it any other way. But I can SEE the other lines, because I have my cards set to show the lines. So it seems when I’m looking at an index card, as if those lines are already created. I get that they’re not, actually. But my instinctive response to the visual cue of the lines is to insert the cursor on the line where I want to start typing, even if it’s blank and below the last incidence of created text.

Like a lot of people, I have a repetitive motion injury, so the fewer keystrokes, clicks, menu drop-downing, and mouse movements, the better. But fair enough if this can’t be done or makes no sense to you.

You may try turning those lines off by un-checking the highlighted setting below:

Index card lines.png

And the lines will be off by default in the next major update. :slight_smile: