Enable en-dashes for German locale?

Not sure whether this has already been addressed, I assume it has?
Under Preferences, in the German version of Scrivener, there is the option to automatically replace double-minus (- -) by em-dashes (—). Yet en-dashes ( – ) are the correct ones, see the article on different kinds of dashes (German). Em-dashes don’t exist in German written language (aside some rare exceptions, perhaps).

My workaround it to use the replacement table and un-tick the dash replacement, which works fine. Yet for the German version, the option to enable en-dashes instead of em-dashes would be fitting.Of course, this is a really minor issue.

I’m not sure if this handled by Scrivener (the toggle is, of course) or macOS, but if it’s Scrivener it would be nice to have a choice. I like my dashes em.

(Also, you can hit - to type n-dashes directly, as a workaround.)

1 Like

Your workaround works with openOffice and similar, but unter Windows, it doesn’t work for Scrivener, at least in ver. 1.9.

Sorry, you didn’t mention what version or operating system.

On a German keyboard, isn’t it just AltGr+Hyphen for en-dash? It is the same for English, but our hyphen key is in a different place. I wouldn’t call that a workaround though, that’s how you type the character, like how typing P is Shift+p. It’s a simple as that and just as fast to type in as any other letter or symbol once you do it for a while. Then again, people use auto-capitalisation to avoid the shift key, so I guess even P is a workaround to some!

That aside, I think what you’re doing: turning the dash option off, and handling it purely with Substitutions is a fine approach. The substitution feature gives you maximum flexibility, and thus takes the place of many hundreds of different hypothetical checkboxes, for different languages and standards. If I were one to use typography while writing, I would use the same approach myself, because I have always used --- for em-dash and -- for en-dash. There is plenty of valid use for both in English, but only one commonly gets replaced. We could add a checkbox for that too, but again I think it’s best to just recognise there is a general-use flexible system for making all of the shortcuts you’d could ever want or think up.

1 Like

Absolutely! I also use Scrivs Replacement Table to produce typographically correct apostrophes as well.

On a side note, AltGr + - should work (as it does with OpenOffice or MS Word), but not with Scrivener; at least not here (Win10, Scriv 1.9). I only get regular hyphens there.
I’ll soon upgrade to Sriv 3.x, so let’s see whether the (very minor) issue is still there.

1 Like