"[Enter] Selected Element" won't let me continue to type. Yes I've searched for this

I write in Scrivener 300 out of 365 ¼ days a year. Maybe more, unlikely less.

I can go maybe six to eight months before this happens and when it does it FRUSTRATES THE HELL OUT OF ME!

WHY? WHY? WHY can I be typing away happy as can be paragraph after paragraph for 7 to 8 THOUSAND words and suddenly I will be stopped from being able to create the next paragraph. And keep in mine, I’ve had SIGNFICANTLY larger files on MacOS in Scrivener than this. SIGNIFICANTLY larger without this issue.

I will end up having to create a full new document, copy and paste everything from that file into a totally different application with text only, no formatting in it, then copy and paste all my text into a new Scrivener file. I CAN NOT get past this without doing that no matter what I’ve tried. And I’ve been using “Scriv” (Scrivener) for over a decade, maybe two, and I have as yet been unable to figure out how to get around this.

HELP!!!

Keep in mind that I have over 50 characters which I have fleshed out to the 'enth degree over time as I have been writing I have added to each character to give them more depth.

This is all just fun for me but also a NEED in me to write. To try to stop writing literally almost every day would be like trying to stop breathing. It is HORRIBLE to try let alone do so I can’t. And I would love to be able to stop dealing with this when I run into it. I don’t even know WHY it suddenly pops up with this. Maybe if someone could tell me WHY it happens while at the same time HOW to fix this, that would be great.

So thank you in advance and please don’t be a ***** and post unhelpful suggestions. Thanks.

Did you accidentally activate Script mode? 8 :thinking:

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks for suggesting that I look at that but “no”, I did not. Other ideas?

Note that I’m also using the default blank white background template with the only modification being that I indent the first line of a paragraph by a few characters.

Yes you did. (Or it is from your template, whichever.)

Your document is in Script Mode.

Did you look at the menu ? (See my earlier screenshot.)

1 Like

I don’t use scriptwriting, but wonder if there’s a shortcut key combination that is inadvertantly being invoked?

1 Like

Likely. I involuntarily activated it more than once when attempting I (pretty close to 8). Can’t be the only clumsy user on this planet.

1 Like

Good to know! Sounds like the answer to @OlsonBW’s problem!

@November_Sierra - just out of curiosity (and laziness in looking it up) - what are those two shortcuts for?

Script mode and italic formatting (by default).

1 Like

Lol. I read your image as a pipe “|” not an “i”, - duh :woman_facepalming: Really good to know when my nails get too long. I use italic shortcuts a lot when transcribing. Thanks!

1 Like