EpubCheck result: Failed!

Hello, on Smashwords, I received the message “EpubCheck result: Failed!” Two errors were cited. One, I was able to correct myself (but it still shows up after compiling anew). The other I’m baffled about:

• ERROR(RSC-005): OPS/body13.xhtml(105, 5): Error while parsing file: element “li” not allowed here; expected the element end-tag, text, element “a”, “abbr”, “area”, “audio”, “b”, “bdi”, “bdo”, “br”, “button”, “canvas”, “cite”, “code”, “data”, “datalist”, “del”, “dfn”, “em”, “embed”, “epub:switch”, “i”, “iframe”, “img”, “input”, “ins”, “kbd”, “label”, “link”, “map”, “mark”, “meta”, “meter”, “ns1:math”, “ns2:svg”, “object”, “output”, “picture”, “progress”, “q”, “ruby”, “s”, “samp”, “script”, “select”, “small”, “span”, “strong”, “sub”, “sup”, “template”, “textarea”, “time”, “u”, “var”, “video” or “wbr” (with xmlns:ns1=“MathML Namespace” xmlns:ns2=“SVG namespace”) or an element from another namespace

I don’t know what this means, nor where to go to correct the error. I’ve tried all the Text Tidying tricks, including Zap Gremlins. Can someone at least help me find “Line 105, Column 5” or a keyword or some indicator from the search bar? Thanks

This you could easily find and see what it actually is in Sigil. (Free app)

1 Like

“This passed EpubCheck!”
Thanks to your tip, I downloaded Sigil (MacOS (Arm64) download, even though my MacBook has the Apple M2 chip)
I tried to figure it out myself in the program, and got lost. I tried to read the Sigil guide and got confused and lost again. Then, I decided to do process of elimination.
I opened each chapter, one by one, and looked to see if it had a line ‘105.’ When it did, I tried to see if anything looked strange. I puttered around to eliminate extra spaces, or style quirks, but really wasn’t finding anything. Then, in chapter 9 I struck gold. There was a broken link and a ‘+’ symbol which was appearing as a line skip and bullet point. I corrected both, then saved the Compiled epub as a different name. This upload was finally accepted!
I’d like to be overjoyed. Instead, I’m mad that Scrivener doesn’t have these kinds of checkers native in their application. None of us got into writing to mess around with tech and formatting and forward compatibility.