Error message in compiled pub

Hi there,

Scrivener is putting this message in the compiled epub, and some content below or above it is removed.

“This page contains the following errors:error on line 817 at column 154: Opening and ending tag mismatch: a line 0 and p
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.”

I suspected it might be table formatting, or headers or images. but no, I can’t find a consistent place it appears.
PDF compiles fine.
Word doc compilation is erratic, at times its a thing of beauty, at others, the images and tables are removed.

If you download Sigil (which is free), you’ll be able to look at line 817 and see what’s up.
Once you know the nature of what is there, or isn’t there, it’ll be much easier for anyone to help.
(You could copy-paste that line here.)

This kind or error message usually comes from a faulty syntax in the CSS reference or inline formatting instructions. (Tags)

When it happens, it displays the content up to this point then stops.

You could also Google for an epub validator. That might tell you more about the current issue.

In your case I can already tell you (from the message) that your line, line 817 (and more specifically part of it – italics, bold, something you’ve got formatted different than the rest) doesn’t close as it opened.

To know what to fix in Scrivener, you first need to know what it actually is that’s in the output.

P.S. You talk of images and tables, are you attempting that same compile as an epub ?
I’ve never tried, but I don’t think that tables and epub go well together. (As a matter of fact, I’m not even sure it is doable. Usually in this case people publish as a PDF. Or insert the tables as images.)

1 Like