Error While Printing

I have a case of an evidently simple document which causes Scrivener to throw up an “Error while printing” message if I attempt to print it or include it in some docs to print. I am not compiling, just printing. The text consists of a heading and a single paragraph. I have included the rtf code below, a screenshot and a test project which contains the doc.

The doc began life as a Word doc. Which I imported, then split up. The current doc is a small piece of that.

I am not losing any sleep over this, as it is not stopping me from doing anything I have to do, but I pass it along in case there is something you need to chase down here.

best,
gr

The rtf code of the document goes like this:

[code]{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1561\cocoasubrtf600
{\fonttbl\f0\froman\fcharset0 TimesNewRomanPSMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
{*\expandedcolortbl;;}
\deftab720
\pard\tx468\pardeftab720\fi-360\qj\partightenfactor0

\f0\b\fs24 \cf0 13. SOME HEADING WORDS
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\b0 \cf0 In
\b no more than 750 words
\b0 explain some words more words more words a remaning paragraph of words.}[/code]
error while printing TEST.zip (179 KB)

I have had the same issue, only with documents created within Scrivener. I found that creating a new document, and then copying the text of the original (that has the print error) into the new document fixes the issue. I just delete the original document and keep the copy.

You can use the File → Export → Files command to export the problem document out of Scrivener and open it in TextEdit. If it still refuses to print, then the issue is either something in the original (Word) document or a problem with our Word to RTF conversion.

… and that’s a 3rd party converter, right?

Mac Scrivener now has an L&L-built DOCX converter by default. An external converter is still used for DOC files.

1 Like