Error while trying to export do doc

Hello!

When I try to export my folder with some notes insides to .doc, I get a following error - did anyone encounter something similar? :slight_smile:

Errors:
Could not export: ‘Outline (T1 ).docx’
Error: ‘Unknown Error.’
Error Description: 'Error:

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
at Aspose.Words.Document.(Stream , String , SaveOptions )
at ScrivenerFileConverter.Program.Main(String args)

Could not export: 'Re P…

Are you exporting the files while in Scrivening view, or outline view?
Check your options tab is do not export subdocuments checked. You can also create an activity log and see what Scrivener is doing below the surface to see if that offers any clues.
Go to File>Options> General>Warning>Show Internal Log.
which then looks like this.

Hello, sorry for late response → I am choosing my “Manuscript” folder, file > export > and trying to export to .doc files.

If I check “do not export subdocuments” box, there’s 1 folder and 0 files exported

The logs show mostly warnings about “illegal characters in path”

Debug: StdErr: “\nUnhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.\r\n at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)\r\n at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)\r\n at Aspose.Words.Document.\u0002(Stream \u0002, String \u0003, SaveOptions \u0005)\r\n at ScrivenerFileConverter.Program.Main(String args)\n”

Maybe I am doing something wrong with exporting in the first place. I’ll try to go back to the manual and see if that helps

I don’t know what’s wrong or how to fix it… but I will point out that DOC format is a long time “dead” document format for Microsoft Word. A long time ago (~17 years) Microsoft changed to DOCX format.

From Scrivener, I recommend you try to avoid this DOC problem by exporting to DOCX. From Scrivener that export format is sometimes not perfect so exporting to RTF may work better. RTF is Scrivener’s native format so conversion not required, and the result is easily read into Microsoft Word and so many other similar products.

2 Likes

Have you tried changing what you are trying to do, in reaction to the error message? It states, “Illegal characters in path”. Maybe try a simpler file name or test a different folder.

I would also try RTF, too, which is just as good as DOCX if you’re using Word. It’s better for Scrivener though because it can do that by itself, whereas to make a DOCX it has to load a huge complex Java converter which may or may not be struggling with characters in your filename, or the path to that location.

3 Likes

Hi all!

I actually managed to do what I wanted with Compile function instead of exporting. Thank you all for trying to help!