Export option underline to italics

Msieur Phil, quest bonne prose?
Le D :smiling_imp:

Well, I’ve never made any secret of how the best way to get a feature into Scrivener is make me want it for my writing… I mean, if I started rejecting my own wish list features then something would be very wrong.

As for carbon paper and the rest of the Ludditism going on in this thread, well, we all know that technology is inherently evil. I learned this from the Battlestar Galactica finale. (No, I’m still over how bad it was, and a whole week has passed.)

Or you would be living in my world. I actually rejected my own implementation plan. At the time I forgot that I had submitted it to the project team that was presenting it. That was a bit embarrassing.

Is there a pattern to be discerned on these forums? A general one I mean? Seven or eight posts on the subject and then… kazooom… we’re off to Margate or somewhere?
Not a complaint you understand. Merely an observation.

Off-topicking is next to Godliness! OK?

@bodsham: another P22 adopter here, thank you for the tip - but Stockport, not Margate…

@vic: does your return mean your wife is better? Are you back for good? (And I mean “for good”. :slight_smile: )

H

With vic-k’s reduced attendance it is taking a few more posts than normal. We used to achieve Margate-aville in less then 3 posts in the good old days.

Fraid not, old buddy! Shes making great progress though. Walks/hops about 75 yds a day wearing a back brace and with the aid of a walking frame. But her foot will be in plaster for another nine weeks, and shell be wearing the brace for at least five month, maybe nine. She should be discharged from hospital, into my care within the next couple of weeks. From then on, Im gonna have to have my wits about me, and make sure she take no unnecessary risks. Itll be a full time job. So for the foreseeable future, youll have to organise yre own off-topickings :laughing: :laughing:
Take care
vic

When I was a boy I remember going to the Goose Fair which was a big deal those days, with real steam-driven roundabouts and anyway one day I was watching this Gavioli organ – well, listening to it, really – and…

… back on topic. I got P22 too. It’s good.

I am told by @ememess we should really refer to it as P22 Typewriter since there are other P22 fonts. And you can get it for free by subscribing to their newsletter here - p22.com/ihof/typewriter.html

Yes - wish I’d known earlier too. Oh, and now I’m at that stage of moving a book from Scrivener to Word I should say it seems impossible/difficult to change underlines to italics in Word or anything else I can find (can probably do it in Nisus but it defeats me). So you just have to read the MS again and do it manually, which in my case is no bad idea anyway.

I used Word for many years and know there’s a way to do this. I did it often in the '04 version of Word. You use the Replace template and click various options. Word needs to know that every time it encounters the style Underline, it will replace with Italic. Did you use the Word Help file? The instructions there should be sufficient. Sorry I can’t be more explicit; two years ago I switched to Pages.

Yes - I know. I used to do it in older versions. Can’t see how in the current one. It is Microsoft you know. Software that atrophies with age.

I really like the overall weight and feel of the P22 Typewriter font, but there is one aspect about it which made is unusable for me, which is demonstrated in this screenshot:

The first paragraph is in Vintage Type’s Underwood based font, and the second is P22’s Typewriter font. The game is to find the underscored emphasis in both paragraphs. :slight_smile:

Amber, I had the same problem which is inherent in the metrics of the free P22. You need the paid-for one, I’m afraid, which has the metrics changed to increase the visibility of the underline. It reads just hunky-dory now. (But I like the VT fonts, too…)

No matter how credible the font and despite including keyclick to approximate the sound and even with a suitable keyboard, given all that, the underlining destroys the image: it is one long straight line, not a series of imperfectly-aligned short lines. It does not look like typewriter output. It looks like computer output. Might as well go back to Optima.

ps

To anyone interested, I just got a newsletter from the P22 foundry. They’ll be having a 50% off sale on all their fonts, this August 3.

Hi,

I really like the P22 typewriter font but agree that the underline is very hard to see with black text on white screen (it’s ok with the green text on black in full screen mode).

One of the posts above suggested that there is a version of the font with a better underline but I cant seem to find it (I went to the designers site and got the paid version).

If anyone knows how to get an improved underline version of the font then I would be interested. Are people making do with the faint underline?

Al

I bought mine online from the address given earlier in a post - the original type foundry. No problem with the underline at all.

Its ok, problem solved!

I just installed the opentype format and it was fine. It’s only the truetype and postscript formats that have the weak underline.

thanks for replying anyway

Al

This is an old thread but I thought I’d say that as of a year ago, several of my friends who are published authors were still being told by their editors to use underline rather than italics. These are major American publishers.